Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

I have a UTI. Pain and pink urine. My Urogynecologist gave

I have a UTI. Pain and pink urine. My Urogynecologist gave me scripts to have on hand. I have Flavoxate HCL 100 mg for pain. I've taken two and pain hasn't subsided yet. Script says I can take 3 a day.

I have Nitrofurantoin 100 mg (Macrobid) two a day and I've already taken two. Question is can I take a third before I go to bed to speed up the healing?

And I am using ice pack locally for pain. Used to use heat, then a nurse told me no, use ice. Which do you recommend?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.

Dr. Owen :

Hello

Dr. Owen :

Well taking the Nitrofurantoin taking 3 per day will Not speed up anything.

Dr. Owen :

BUT since you are in the US there is a medication you can take that is Over the counter to help

Dr. Owen :

It is Called AZO -

Dr. Owen :

This would help you with your UTI symptoms and pain.

Dr. Owen :

AZO is also called Pyridium too

Customer:

I have that here too. I just used the other from last time I had infection.

Dr. Owen :

okay - how many have you used?

Dr. Owen :

Are you trying to just get the pain under control?

Customer:

Mostly get pain under control. I have not taken the AZO yet. I can take that now even tho I took the Flavoxate within last hour?

Dr. Owen :

okay - Yes you can take that too with the Flavoxate

Dr. Owen :

PLUS you can also ADD Ibuprofen (600mg every 6 hours), PLUS Tylenol 1000 mg every 6 hours.

Dr. Owen :

That should help you with the addition of those medications

Customer:

Great! Would it hurt anything to take a third Macrobid today, even tho script says 2xday.

Dr. Owen :

no it will Not hurt - so you can use it safely if you wish

Dr. Owen :

I wish you well

Dr. Owen :

Please if you have more questions, please ask

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you

Dr. Owen :

and I hope you get better soon

Customer:

Thank you. I have some new information for my use.

Dr. Owen :

I wish you the best

Dr. Owen :

Please click on Excellent before you leave

Dr. Owen :

that would be appreciated for helping you

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate