Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate

Hi I was wondering if you can answer this question. I am a

Hi I was wondering if you can answer this question. I am a 39 year old married woman. My husband and I are trying for our third with no luck. I had bright red blood last night after intercourse. I feel like my cycle is starting but this would make it four days early (I have also started a restrictive diet). My pregnancy test as of this morning was negative. As of about 6 weeks ago my Pap smear was normal, vaginal swab was normal and urine normal. Could this be my period starting? Is that a probable cause for post coital bleeding? Given my period is due in four days does this not fall into the category of postcoital bleeding? This has happened once before a couple of months ago and my doctor did my physical but no ultra sound and everything was good including a pap and a vaginal swab. Please let me know.

Dr. Owen : Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.
Dr. Owen : Hello
Dr. Owen : The could be due to Implantation bleeding and sometimes a pregnancy test might not be positive for a few days from now.
Dr. Owen : Other reasons for this could be a Polyp, or even hormonal such as a thryoid condition
Dr. Owen : So IF you are not pregnant, I would highly suggest getting a TSH thyroid blood test and also an ultrasound to check for a polyp in your uterus.
Dr. Owen : These would be reasons why you are not getting pregnant.

I did a series of hormone tests to on 3rd and 21st day of cycle all hormones are normal. I guess I will follow up with doctor, for an ultra sound. Glad to see that pregnancy is not ruled out. The bleeding was bright red and this morning it was brownish but is now gone. Does that sound consistent with Implantation bleeding at all?

Dr. Owen : Yes this could be Implanation

Thank you I will wait it out.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi again my vaginal swab and pap as mentioned earlier are normal! My family doctor has now scheduled a sonohystogram this week! And following which is a biopsy at referred gynocologist! Given this information where is biopsy being tested. In other words if a Pap smear shoes no signs of abnormal cells what would a biopsy be testing and how is this all performed!
Well that is GREAT news..

The biopsy is from with IN the uterus - this is called an Endometrial biopsy - it takes all of a few seconds in the office.

The SIS - Saline Sonohystogram is an Ultrasound that would look for a possible polyp or fibroid - but these are NOT generally cancer.

So try not to worry - and more than likely the abnormal cells were Transient and not a concern.

I hope this helps
if you have more questions, please ask
Please click on EXCELLENT
Thank you