Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate

Hello, I have been on nuvaring for the past 7 months. I am

Hello, I have been on nuvaring for the past 7 months. I am also taking Topamax for migraines. Until recently I didn't know that they can interact with each other. I am about 8 days away from my next period and have been having pregnancy symptoms. I have very tender breast with unusually distinct veins and also clear nipple discharge. I have a heightened sense of smell and fatigue. I have headaches just about everyday for the past 5 or 6 days and I have been crying over crazy things. Also, For the fast 3 days I have had off and on lower abdominal cramps and lower back and thigh aches with no bleeding. Is it possible that all this could just be the nuvaring hormones or is this more like pregnancy symptoms? Thank You!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 8 months ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.

Dr. Owen :

Hello

Dr. Owen :

Well this could all be due to hormones in general - not necessarily due to a pregnancy - so JUST to make sure you are NOT pregnant and these symptoms are Not due to a pregnancy do a pregnancy test and USE a sensitive test such as EPT, Clear Blue, or First Response.

Dr. Owen :

Also you should check your thyroid with a TSH thyroid blood test as this can cause your symptoms.

Dr. Owen :

Plus you might also want to check the Prolactin level - as this too can cause your symptoms.

Dr. Owen :

If the Pregnancy test is NOT positive, you are not pregnant.

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Dr. Owen :

I am here to help

Dr. Owen :

Thank you

Customer:

is it not to early to test?

Dr. Owen :

well the reason I am saying to test because if you have symptoms then test - because if the test is Not positive, then these symptoms are DEFINITELY NOT due to a pregnancy

Dr. Owen :

I hope that makes sense

Dr. Owen :

No what I would suggest if you are not pregnant - start to do away with the Hormonal contraceptive - and then the ONLY contraceptive that is NON-Hormonal that REALLY works is the Paragard IUD.

Customer:

ok thank you!

Dr. Owen :

Paragard

Dr. Owen :

I wish you well

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate