Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate

Hi, I had with my new boyfriend yesterday and today Ive

I had sex with my new boyfriend yesterday and today I've been experiencing this really annoying itching on my vagina. It looks red like it was irritated. There is no discharge and no odor.

This happened last week too. We had sex and he performed oral sex on me (just like last night) and the next day i was all itchy and irritated. It went away after a day so I thought maybe it was sensitivity from his five o'clock shadow.

I had a visit to the OBG last month. all was fine. This is a new boyfriend though. I just want some peace of mind and to know what this might be and what I can do to relieve the itching.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 8 months ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.

Dr. Owen :

hello

Dr. Owen :

did he ejaculate?

Dr. Owen :

Did you use a condom?

Dr. Owen :

Do you use birth control?

Dr. Owen :

Do you have any allergies?

Customer:

He did ejaculate this time but not last time. We didn't use a condom because I am an idiot. We did have the talk, though. I am on Lutera.

Dr. Owen :

okay

Dr. Owen :

Well the reason I was asking about the condom was because many women have latex allergies -

Customer:

No allergy to latex that I know of.

Dr. Owen :

Also other reasons could be that the Semen / sperm itself can cause the pH (acid base balance) to change and hence this can cause the yeast your normally have to overgrow....we all have some yeast and bacteria on our body...but sometimes the lowering of the pH can cause this.

Dr. Owen :

So you do NOT have to have a discharge, nor do you have to have any other complaints or symptoms to have a yeast infection

Dr. Owen :

So I would suggest using TWO over the counter products.

Dr. Owen :

1. use Clotrimazole (also known as Gynelotrimin or Canestan)

Dr. Owen :

2. Hydrocortisone (Cortisol)

Dr. Owen :

Use these for at least 3 to 7 days and this should help you

Customer:

Okay, that's what I was confused about. All of the info out there about yeast infections mention discharge and odor, none of which I am experiencing.

Dr. Owen :

Also to Prevent this from happening in the future START to use a Probiotic such as RepHresh vaginal gel or RepHresh PRO B

Dr. Owen :

Yeast does not always have an odor - most of the time an Odor is due to BV - bacterial vaginosis

Dr. Owen :

and yeast also does Not always have a discharge

Dr. Owen :

Now yeast commonly has a discharge - but not always

Customer:

I can use Cortisol cream on the vaginal area?

Dr. Owen :

yes you can - that is really to help the itching

Dr. Owen :

the Clotrimazole would be to treat a yeast infection

Customer:

Okay great. And is that probiotic really the only thing I can do to prevent this again? It just seems so tedious.

Dr. Owen :

Yes the Probiotic keeps your vaginal pH at a normal level so that Sperm /Semen will NOT change the pH of the vagina - hence preventing a yeast of bv infection from occurring

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, you can always ask

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you

Dr. Owen :

Thank you

Customer:

Great, Thank you so much.

Dr. Owen :

you are welcome

Dr. Owen :

Have a great day

Dr. Owen :

Please click on Excellent

Dr. Owen :

That is how Justanswer credits us for helping you

Dr. Owen :

Thank you

Customer:

Oh one more question! Anything I should look out for that will require a visit to my OBG?

Dr. Owen :

If this is worsening, you get fevers greater than 101, or this is just not working after about 3 to 5 days of use...it should

Dr. Owen :

I wish you well

Dr. Owen :

Have a great week

Dr. Owen :

Please click on Excellent

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Customer:

you as well. Thanks.

Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate