Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)

Hi there! My mom is 62 years old and is assuming she is going

Hi there! My mom is 62 years old and is assuming she is going through menopause.she had a hysterectomy a few years this particular moment she is dealing with an ongoing UTI that doesn't seem to go away. She went to the doctor twice and have given her antibiotics. She doesn't understand why she's having a UTI if she had a hysterectomy.She also says that maybe she has been extremely hot, she feels like her insides are hot, like if she has a fever all day. The doctor gave her an estragin cream,but after reading a side effects she is afraid to even try you think by her taking her antibiotics, cranberry juice, and perhaps"refresh" vaginal gel to balance her ph would help?

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

Please explain to your mother that having a hysterectomy will not prevent a UTI since an UTI is infection of the urinary tract and is not related to the uterus. Feeling feverish and hot is a symptom of an UTI.

Estrogen will help more if she has dryness or discomfort of the vagina - symptoms of UTI will also help to some extent since a low estrogen level can increase the risks of an URI.

But taking antibiotics, cranberry juice and rephresh vaginal gel will be adequate. She can also take an anti-inflammatory tablet like Brufen to help decrease the inflammation.

I hope this helps.