Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)

i took a pregnancy test yesterday evening. i went back to throw

i took a pregnancy test yesterday evening. i went back to throw it away and when i looked at it i noticed that there was a very faint line where the T was. what does that mean? and can it still be accurate even after the "5" minutes?

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

If the level of HCG is low in the urine, the pregnancy test can sometimes come positive even after 5 minutes. But a chemcical error can also make that line. Repeating the test with the morning sample of urine will give you a more accurate report.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what do you mean by a chemical error?

It means that the chemical which is in the pregnancy test strip, and which helps the urine to show if a pregnancy is present or not, can get denatured and altered after some time. This then can give a false positive or false negative report.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

oh okay. thank you. i spoke with another doctor last night and she said more than likely i could just need to take an accurate test with morning urine. but when i saw the test from yesterday i had to ask cause its been 3 years since my last pregnancy.

That is right, Vanessa. A repeat test in the morning should help clear this up.