Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)

chances of having a healthy baby and u/s with no heartbeat

chances of having a healthy baby and vaginal u/s with no heartbeat at 6 weeks 5 days

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

The fetal heartbeat is usually visible by 6 weeks of pregnancy. In some rare cases, depending on the experience of the ultrasonologist as well as the amount of fat in the abdomen, there may be confusing signals and the heartbeat may be missed. But it is invariably visible by 7 weeks.

At 6.5 weeks, the chances of having a healthy baby with no heartbeat is very minimal.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what is minimal doc? we went in and that is what they told us but it has been another week and we haven't gone back yet, we go Thursday, but she has not had any bleeding or any other signs of a miscarriage so could we be one of the lucky few or is there something else I should be looking for. My main concern right now is for my fiancé, and other doc told us it would take less than a week for her body to miscarriage but that was at 6 weeks and 3 days. two days later we went for second opinion and it was 6 weeks and 5 days measuring so is it done or just still growing

Thank you for the reply.

Minimal means very very ow, practically absent - if the fetus had been 7 weeks, i would have said that the chances are absent. Since you are 2 days away from that, the chances are minimal.

It can take much longer than a week for a miscarriage to occur spontaneously. In some cases, it can go for weeks and will need medicines to induce the miscarriage once it is confirmed that the pregnancy is not viable.

The difference between 6.3 days and 6.5 days may be a machine error - at this time the machine error may be =/- 3 days.

Please ask your doctor for a HCG blood test and to repeat it after 72 hours - the HCG level should double. Correlating the HCG level with the ultrasound will help in more accurately diagnosing whether a pregnancy is healthy.