Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

On aug/16/2013 was my last and I was bleeding brown

On aug/16/2013 was my last period and I was bleeding brown blood then it turn pinkish by my 5th day. Iam now 10 days late I was due for my period on sep/13/2013 and I am 10 days late on my period. Now it's sep/23/2013 and I'm bleeding and cramping with back aches off and on I took a HPT test and that came out negative so I went to my doctors appointment on sep/20/2013 to get a blood test done and my results don't come back till tomorrow. I want to know if I'm pregnant and If Iam why am I bleeding?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.

Dr. Owen :

Hello

Dr. Owen :

What was the brand of the pregnancy test that you used?

Dr. Owen :

Have you ever had an irregular period?

Dr. Owen :

hi

Customer: Family dollar brand
Dr. Owen :

oh

Customer: No I always been regular
Dr. Owen :

I would buy a name brand test - such as one from EPT, Clear Blue, or First Respone - the Dollar tests honesty I have never found to be accurate

Dr. Owen :

And so you can find out today if you are pregnant or not - you don't have to wait for the blood test

Customer: Ok
Dr. Owen :

And then IF you have a negative pregnancy test you definitely are Not pregnant.

Dr. Owen :

But if the test is positive, then this could be a viable pregnancy but then it might be a miscarriage too.

Customer: But I'm concern about bleeding after I am 10 days late on my period
Dr. Owen :

So you would need to get a pelvic exam and a pelvic ultrasound to see exactly what is happening if you have that positive test

Dr. Owen :

Yes I understand about the bleeding

Dr. Owen :

but first you have to see if you have a positive pregnancy test or not

Dr. Owen :

Now if you are not pregnant - then the bleeding or more than likely just Anovulatory bleeding - meaning you probably did not ovulate this cycle and hence why you had a delayed period - I see this fairly commonly

Customer: But by me being late and if my blood test comes back positive then what should I do if I'm still bleeding
Dr. Owen :

Other reasons for this could be due to a thyroid condition - such as Hypothyroidism (low thyroid)

Dr. Owen :

IF you have a positive test = then this could be a miscarriage - or this could just be bleeding in pregnancy (we see this too, a LOT of this)

Dr. Owen :

So this is why it is important to get a pregnancy test that is accurate (not a dollar test)

Dr. Owen :

and then depending on the result of the test you then determine what evaluation needs to be done

Customer: What is the best HPT to buy that will detect my hcg levels while I'm bleeding
Dr. Owen :

bleeding does not matter - just make sure you get ONLY urine in the dipstick

Dr. Owen :

you can use EPT, Clear blue, or First Response - these are all available at any drug store

Customer: I have the signs of being pregnant like the swollen breasts back pain dizziness tiredness sleepy all the time and heightened smells cramps in my lower left side
Dr. Owen :

I understand

Dr. Owen :

but this is also why it is important to do a pregnancy test - that way you will known one way or the other -

Dr. Owen :

so I would not hesitate in doing the pregnancy test - because if you are pregnant and have this heavy bleeding - then you should be seen today for care.

Customer: Ok
Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions - I am online a lot - and I am happy to help you

Dr. Owen :

Please click on Excellent for helping you

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen :

Dr Owen

Customer: Do I have to pay again
Dr. Owen :

no you do not - we do appreciate a positive rating / feedback for helping you

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen :

hence why we request you click on Excellent

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Customer: How long can I chat with u if I have any more questions
Dr. Owen :

you log in, go to 'My questions' and you find me

Dr. Owen :

I wish you well

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen :

have a good evening

Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate