Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

Hi, I just got my lab results back and my doctor said that

Hi, I just got my lab results back and my doctor said that although I don't fit the "typical profile" of PCOS (I am lean and have no hirsutism), she suggests putting me on metformin due to my FSH/LH ratio (7.2/20.5) and the fact that I have irregular periods and acne that started about 1 year ago. The acne has been controlled with Accutane, but I had to discontinue the medication early due to side effects (depression). I am a little worried about a relapse of acne...could the metformin help with that? Other information that may be relevant: My total testosterone is 55 and my free testosterone is 4.2. This apparently is down from when I was tested 6 months ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.

Dr. Owen :

Well metformin might or might not help with the acne

Dr. Owen :

and given that you have elevated testosterone - what the metformin will hopefully do is Decrease your Insulin level and a decrease in the Insulin level will Decrease your testosterone level - which will then Hopefully decrease your acne.

Dr. Owen :

so I'm glad to hear your testosterone level is decreasing.

Dr. Owen :

Also using birth control pills such as OrthoTricyclen can help with your acne too.

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :

Please if you have more questions, please ask

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr. Owen :

Thank you

Dr. Owen :

Dr Owen

Customer:

Is the FSH/LH ratio of diagnostic utility in PCOS?

Dr. Owen :

no - not at all

Dr. Owen :

In fact I never use the FSH / LH at all for PCOS.

Customer:

I am confused about why I have been diagnosed then.

Dr. Owen :

Well you have an elevated Testosterone, you have Acne, and you have irregular periods - so Hence why you would be diagnosed with PCOS

Dr. Owen :

Also 20% of all PCOS patients are NOT overweight

Dr. Owen :

So hence this is why you are diagnosed with PCOS

Customer:

My free testosterone is in the normal range, but the total testosterone is a bit high. Is that correct?

Dr. Owen :

I use the total - I don't use free

Dr. Owen :

Also, you have to realize that PCOS is not really a diagnosis that says you have to meet a certain number of criteria -

Dr. Owen :

and try NOT to be bogged down by the Diagnosis - you should concentrate on how to help yourself with your syptoms.....and then eventually if you want to get pregnant.

Dr. Owen :

So try not to worry about a Label -

Customer:

I understand. The symptoms that bother me are the acne and some depression. I have always had irregular periods, so that is not as much of a concern for me. How is metformin indicated when my insulin levels have not been tested? Also, are there other ways to intervene, such as exercise and diet?

Dr. Owen :

Well test your insulin levels....but more than likely with an elevated testosterone level - you can 'assume' you have a high insulin level - as high insulin levels in a woman causes a high testosterone level as I have said above.

Dr. Owen :

You can try to have a GOOD exercise schedule 60 minutes per day, 7 days per week

Dr. Owen :

and keeping your diet to about 1800 kcalories per day

Customer:

I see. Thanks so much for your help.

Dr. Owen :

you are welcome

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you

Dr. Owen :

Have a great week

Customer:

You too! :-)