Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate

I have occasional brownish yellowish discharge I am post menopausal

I have occasional brownish yellowish discharge I am post menopausal Occasionaly my vaginal area is itchy. I had a benign polylp removed about a year and 1/2 ago. I had slight red bleeding and haven' really had any other problems since My pap tests have been good for years. I am 68 years old and am not sexually active. Sometimes I get very mild cramps. But not very often. I do wear a pad because when I sneeze I sometimes urinate. Could this be something serious. The discharge has been a small amount of yellow and the other day there was a small amount of whitish discharge on toilet paper. I couldn't tell if the yellow might be a urine stain. When I came home from work tonight there was more of a brownish stain.

Dr. Owen : Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.
Dr. Owen : Helloa
Dr. Owen : Hello
Dr. Owen : Have you used any medication for this such as an anti-yeast medication?
Dr. Owen : What other medications do you use?
Dr. Owen : Also, when was your last pelvic exam?
Dr. Owen : Thank you
Dr. Owen : Dr Owen

I have not used any medications for this. I am on several meds for heart and bloodpressure. Also I am on blood thinner and antidepressant. My last exam was May,2012.

Dr. Owen : Okay
Dr. Owen : well given what you have said, Unlikely this is concerning and more than likely this is just atrophy given you are in menopause
Dr. Owen : and you might just need a little bit of estrogen such as a prescription to Vagifem twice per week
Dr. Owen : Also you might have a slight Yeast infection too - so you can try to use an anti yeast medication such as Clotrimazole (also known as Gynelotrimin) and this is over the counter
Dr. Owen : Also, if you have not had an exam of the pelvis and vagina in over a year, I would highly suggest you get this done too.
Dr. Owen : I hope this helps
Dr. Owen : Please if you have more questions please ask
Dr. Owen : Please click on EXCELLENTThank you
Dr. Owen : Dr Owen

Could this be an infection or something more serious? So the mild itch and mild discharge don't always mean something serious? I have never taken any estrogen before. A yeast infection could cause these problems?

Dr. Owen : More than likely this is Not serious given what you said
Dr. Owen : the infection could be a yeast infection and treat like I described above
Dr. Owen : but , if you have not had an exam in over a year, you should really get a pelvic exam
Dr. Owen : I hope this helps
Dr. Owen : If you have more questions, pleasea ask
Dr. Owen : Please click on EXCELLENT
Dr. Owen : Thank you
Dr. Owen : Dr Owen
Dr. Owen : If you have more questions - I'm still here to help you
Dr. Owen : Thank you

I am a terrible Health Hypocondriach. I will make an appointment for a pelvic exam. I am very faithful about mammograms and such. Just one more question. Because of my age and I am about 50 lbs overweight I try to prevent vaginal oder but it is very difficult. I also have dark pigmentation in that area and I am embarrassed to go to the doctor. Is there anything Ican do to get rid of odor and dark skin?

Dr. Owen : Well you can try a Probiotic such as RepHresh VAginal Gel or RepHresh Pro B (the pill version) - these contain Lactobaccillis acidophilus ) that is a the GOOD bacteria for the vagina - that can help with your odor
Dr. Owen : And, don't worry about going to your ob/gyn - this is what we as ob/gyn's do - we take care of women and their specific problems
Dr. Owen : I wish you wel
Dr. Owen : I wish you well
Dr. Owen : Please click on EXCELLENT
Dr. Owen : thank you
Dr. Owen : Dr Owen

Thank you so much!

Dr. Owen : you are welcome