Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

I had a new partner last weekend, protected

I had a new sexual partner last weekend, protected intercourse but not protected oral sex from him to me. He reassured me several times that he was clean after very open candid discussion about the topic of STD's. Yesterday I noticed on the upper crease of my vaginal lips just as the pubic hair starts there is a red tender bump. What almost surely feels like an ingrown hair or a bug bite. I have not shaved there at all though and just trimmed. I can not see a head, just a sore red bump. Is this possibly a bug bite, an ingrown hair, the start of herpes, something else? It's just one bump, it is visibly red and under the pubic hair not on moist skin. No head or puss at all.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.

Dr. Owen :

Hello

Dr. Owen :

more than likely just to let you know this is NOT a STD given your description.

Dr. Owen :

So yes it could be a sore from any of the possibilities you suggested.

Dr. Owen :

I would just keep it clean and just your antibacterial soap such as dial in the area.

Customer:

at what point would I be concerned and would you suggest being seen

Dr. Owen :

If you start to see small blisters that are very painful, then yes this should be seen

Dr. Owen :

Also, if you start to itch - this could just be a yeast infection and then use an over the counter product such as clotrimazole or gynelotrimin.

Customer:

any concern with it happening so close to a recent sexual encounter?

Customer:

I've had yeast infections this is different.

Dr. Owen :

it is a possibility, but if you are concern at ALL - get checked for STDs - this is easy to do, and if you have any STDs most likely they can be treated.

Customer:

can herpes present in the pubic hair? as one bump?

Dr. Owen :

It can - BUT Unlikely - as herpes presents with small blisters that are clear fluid inside and they REALLY HURT

Customer:

this hurts but no clear fluid

Dr. Owen :

okay

Dr. Owen :

so UNlikely to be herpes

Dr. Owen :

but more than likely just irritation from sex, or an ingrown hair, but not herpes

Dr. Owen :

And, it sounds like you are concerned - so honestly get a STD check - you would be very wise to do so

Customer:

Ok, this is just new for me

Dr. Owen :

I understand

Customer:

Just get a full STD panel? Is it too early to check for things from this recent exposure

Dr. Owen :

but it is always wise if you do NOT know your partner and HIS previous sex experience - be safe and get a STD check

Dr. Owen :

Yes, gonorrhea, chlamydia, trichomonas, HIV, and syphillis, and then if necessary a Herpes culture of the area you are questioning.

Dr. Owen :

More than likely it will be normal - but this is a good practice to get into just to be sure.

Dr. Owen :

More than likely with just ORAL sex you got Nothing - as the saliva usually does NOT transmit anything

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you

Dr. Owen :

Thank you

Dr. Owen :

Dr Owen

Dr. Owen :

Have a great rest of the week