Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

I was almost 2 weeks late for my period so I took 3 pregnancy

I was almost 2 weeks late for my period so I took 3 pregnancy tests and all 3 had positive result. The lines were faint but I checked the first response website and it said if there is a faint line it is still positive. I am 43 years old and this is my 4th pregnancy. All the classic symptoms tired, tender breasts, nausea. This morning my husband and I were making love and it lasted quite sometime and after my orgasm there was some blood. Now hours later I have not bled at all. Could this be a miscarriage?

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

This is unlikely to be a miscarriage. if it had been, you would still have got some spotting or brownish discharge.

The bleeding after sex was probably due to leakage of blood from engorged cervical veins. The veins can become engorged during pregnancy and leaks when they are pressed.

Another cause could be cervical erosion - this can occur in pregnancy due to the high estrogen levels.

Neither of these causes are of concern. But please consult your doctor for a checkup.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your response. I have also been feeling a little crampy for the past week and still am. Its been 12 years since my last pregnancy.

Felling crampy may be normal in early pregnancy. But crampiness together with mild bleeding indicates that you need to get an ultrasound to check out the pregnancy - there may be a risk of a miscarriage.