Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate

I am 50 years old, and have not had a period since June 24.

I am 50 years old, and have not had a period since June 24. How will I know if I am approaching menopause? I missed just one cycle, is this significant? What other symptoms would indicate whether this is actually menopause?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 10 months ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.

Dr. Owen :

Well menopause usually in occurs in 95 percent of women between 49 and 53 years of age.

Dr. Owen :

and missing a period is an indication you are possibly heading in that direction.

Dr. Owen :

the ONLY definition of menopause is No periods for 12 months in a row.

Dr. Owen :

You can ask your doctor for a blood test called FSH - and if this is elevated, this is an indication that you are heading towards menopuase.

Customer:

What is the FSH measuring?

Dr. Owen :

FSH is follicle stimulating hormone - this gets elevated when in menopause.

Customer:

What is considered an elevated amount?

Dr. Owen :

above 35

Dr. Owen :

but we really do not use this test routinely - because the ONLY definition is by no periods for 12 months, menopause is not defined by a blood test

Customer:

Is this a commonly used test?

Dr. Owen :

we do this test for many reasons....

Dr. Owen :

but it is only that your doctor can do for Curiosity - it is Not something that is covered by insurance for this

Dr. Owen :

so you would probably have to pay for this test if you want it - as it is not a needed or required test

Customer:

On my report of an ultrasound there was a "10 mm non-specific endometrial stripe." Is this especially thick?

Dr. Owen :

ONLY concerning if you have irregular bleeding

Dr. Owen :

which it sounds like you do not

Customer:

I have not had any bleeding since June

Dr. Owen :

then you really did not need an ultrasound

Customer:

I take them regularly because there was a cyst on one of my ovaries

Dr. Owen :

okay -

Dr. Owen :

anyway - I wish you well

Customer:

Is there anything I should be looking for?

Dr. Owen :

No, this is all very normal

Customer:

Is there any way to know if my period has stopped? They had previous been regular.

Dr. Owen :

You are between the age of 49 and 53 - you are starting to go through menopause and a period that does not happen - this is Nothing to worry about - because cancer is Never associated with a period that does not occur

Dr. Owen :

so, honestly there is nothing to worry about - you are going through that phase of life now - every women dose

Dr. Owen :

does

Customer:

Is the endometrial lining something I should see the doctor about?

Dr. Owen :

No, because you are Not bleeding IRREGULARLY

Dr. Owen :

ONLY IF you have irregular bleeding is this remotely concerning.

Customer:

OK

Dr. Owen :

So

Dr. Owen :

try Not to worry about this all

Dr. Owen :

this is all very normal

Dr. Owen :

I wish you well

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENt for helping you and spending time with you

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen :

Dr Owen

Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate