Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

Is a higher body temperature a sign of pregnancy even before

Is a higher body temperature a sign of pregnancy even before a positive hpt? My temp has ranged from 98.7 to 99.4 at the highest since my ovulation. I am not sure if I could be pregnant or if I am fighting off something...

Dr. Owen :

Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.

Dr. Owen :

Hello

Customer:

Hi Dr. Owen

Dr. Owen :

Well you can have a temperature spike during ovulation, but a temperature elevation is not necessarily an indication of a pregnancy.

Dr. Owen :

Now, if you are less than 3 days away from your period, you do a pregnancy test to see if this is a pregnancy

Dr. Owen :

And, use a good pregnancy test such as one from EPT, Clear Blue or First Response.

Customer:

I thought that if your temp stays higher after ovulation then that could be a sign? I am not close enough still have another week until my period is due.

Dr. Owen :

no, I'm sorry - temperature increase besides at ovulation is not an indication of pregnancy.

Customer:

oh ok...thx

Dr. Owen :

Plus your body would not have any symptoms Until you are about 3 to 4 days Prior to expected period - as it is impossible for your body to know - since the embryo is not attached to your body until about 3 to 4 days PRIOR to your next period.

Dr. Owen :

I wish you well

Dr. Owen :

by the way your previous question you can take Alleve with Claritin

Dr. Owen :

I wish you well

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen :

Dr Owen

Customer:

ok thank you