Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

Age 55. Had thick endometrial lining. Had bx which was negative.

Age 55. Had thick endometrial lining. Had bx which was negative. 5 mos ago. Was put on progesterone. Lining down to normal 4 ms ago. Follow up today. Lining thick again 3 cm. for d/c Thursday. Should I be worried of cancer. Dr thinks it could be fibroid or polyp.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.

Dr. Owen :

Hello

Dr. Owen :

Are you having any bleeding - because if you are Not having any bleeding - then Unlikely you need to worry.

Dr. Owen :

But you do need to get this evaluated for why this thickening is happening - a Polyp is a very reasonable reason here.

Dr. Owen :

And given you had a normal biopsy SO recently and 5 months ago is recent- you do Not have cancer - that would be very Unlikely

Customer: None other than when I finish my 15 days of progesterone. Then it is a reg type period which my doctor anticipated
Dr. Owen :

Now to prevent this problem from developing further - the NEXT step I would suggest is Hysteroscopy (a camera in the uterus) to SEE what is actually going on.

Dr. Owen :

But I do NOT think you need to worry about a cancer.

Customer: I guess that will occur with the dc on thur?
Dr. Owen :

Well Make sure he does the Hysteroscopy PRIOR to the D&C - that way your doctor can see what is going on.

Dr. Owen :

I always look with a Hysteroscope prior to doing a D&C for these reasons.

Dr. Owen :

So, it does sound like your doctor is doing the appropriate thing so far by doing a D&C.

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen :

Dr Owen

Customer: ok. Will mention that to him. But in the meantime if this was your wife or mother, you would not worry so much. 3 cm seems really thick
Dr. Owen :

I would NOT worry - your endometrial biopsy was normal very recently.

Dr. Owen :

although thick, it does not seem to be a cancer.

Customer: Thank you. I was really scared and upset. One other thing. Should the dc do the trick or is there a chance the lining will grow back thick again.
Dr. Owen :

Well see what the result of the D&C is - -your doctor should send the results to the Pathologist to look at the tissue under the microscope - if there is anything concerning - such as Hyperplasia (which is not a cancer) - you might want to consider just getting a hysterectomy- as hyperplasia CAN grow into a cancer within 5 years - so that would be my suggestion.

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Dr. Owen :

I wish you well on the D&C/ and hopefully Hysteroscopy too on Thursday

Dr. Owen :

If no more questions, please click on EXCELLENT

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen :

Dr Owen

Customer: Is there a chance the lining could grow back thick again or does dc usually do the trick?
Dr. Owen :

There is a chance - especially if the pathology returns as hyperplasia.

Customer: what then?
Dr. Owen :

Then the suggestion by most ob/gyn's including myself is to get a hysterectomy - because hyperplasia has a 1 to 50% risk of Turning into a cancer within 5 years.

Customer: Ok. Thank you. I will not worry but I'll keep on top of it with my Dr.
Dr. Owen :

I wish you well

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCeLLENT for helping you

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen :

Dr Owen