Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

My daughter is 23 years old. She has some disabilities. But

My daughter is 23 years old. She has some disabilities. But all in all she is doing awesome. She has told me about this warmness in her neck for years. We asked her GP, HER GYN AND HER ENCRONOLOGIST. No one seems concerned. Now she actually has hot flashes.. I know thats what it is because I watch her go from the warm sensations to the cold afterwards. She has 2 tiny nodules on her thyroid and they are ok, she had them biospsied.. And her thyroid bloodwork was good. All her bloodwork was good.. she was low in vitamin D and iron.. so we have her on vitamin D and vitamins with iron.. what could this be? Do young girls experience hot flashes?

Dr. Owen :

Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.

Dr. Owen :

Does she have regular periods?

Dr. Owen :

What type of disabilities does she have?

Customer:

She does have regular periods... she has VCFS VELO CARDIO FACIAL syndrome

Dr. Owen :

how long has she had these symptoms?

Dr. Owen :

what is her height and weight?

Customer:

she complained to me about this 2-3 years ago... they seem to manifest right before her period... she is 5 foot 9 in and 200 pounds

Dr. Owen :

Does she use birth control?

Customer:

last 3 days has been off and on with them... and her period is due

Customer:

no

Dr. Owen :

Given her weight - even though she has a regular period - she is probably suffering from PCOS - Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

Customer:

what is this?

Dr. Owen :

PCOS is essentially a Metabolic syndrome - where a woman who is overweight is producing excess estrogen that is converted to estrone, that is converted to testosterone and then excess insulin -

Customer:

what can we do? who should we see? does this cause hot flashes?

Dr. Owen :

so she might have normal hormone levels, but she might have an elevated testosterone and insulin level, when then would cause a thickening around the ovary causing her to not to ovulate - and this overweight along with the testosterone/ insulin can cause these symptoms.

Dr. Owen :

so a simple way of dealing with this is with birth control pills PLUS weight loss.

Customer:

losing weight, taking a medication? what do they do to treat this? so she doesn't suffer with hot flashes

Customer:

thanks

Dr. Owen :

So I would suggest checking her ovaries - she might VERY small ovarian cysts that would appear normal, unless you are actually looking for PCOS - and then also checking the levels of testosterone, INsulin, but also another blood test for DHEA-S - (DiHydroEpiAndrostendione - Sulfate)

Customer:

thanks . will call her dr. tomorrow.. I was thinking it was her thyroid...

Dr. Owen :

Well if an Endocrinologist says the thyroid is normal - then unlikely

Customer:

thank you very much

Dr. Owen :

you are very welcome

Dr. Owen :

please click on EXCeLLENT

Dr. Owen :

Thank you

Dr. Owen :

Have a good evening