Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

Hi, I have experienced a missed miscarriage at the beginning

I have experienced a missed miscarriage at the beginning of the year, for which I underwent a D&C procedure. Since then I have had one early miscarriage (5 1/2 weeks). Last week on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday I took pregnancy tests all of which showed positive. I then had what I assumed was my period, and that the test were inaccurate or showed a chemical pregnancy only. However, the bleeding only lasted 3 days. This is very unusual for me as my periods are usually like clockwork and run for 6 days. Could I be pregnant after all? Should I test again? Any answers you could give me would be much appreciated.

Welcome and thank you for your question.

- When did you get your period in August? And when did you get the pregnancy tests? dates?

What was your period like - was the blood flow less than normal?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I got my period on August 11, lasted 3 days, moderate, not quite as heavy as normal but not light.
I tested Tuesday 6th, Wed 7th and Friday 9th of August.
My previous period was on the 14th July, lasted 6 days
Susan,

Yes, you could be pregnant after all. urine pregnancy tests are usually quite accurate and three tests on three different dates are unlikely to be false positive.

The less blood flow you had on 11th August could have been implantation bleeding.

Another cause for this could be a chemical pregnancy giving you the positive results. You could also have a progesterone deficiency (corpus luteal defect). This will impair implantation even if fertilization occurs since the endometrial growth will not be adequate. A low endometrial growth will also cause a decrease blood flow during the period.

Please repeat the pregnancy tests and consult an Obgyn for an ultrasound.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will do, thank you
You are welcome.