Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

my vagina gets irritatted after intercourse, even when i use

my vagina gets irritatted after intercourse, even when i use lubricants, I am only able to have sex once or twice a week because after sex the irritation usually last 3-4 days.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.

Dr. Owen :

hello

Dr. Owen :

Can you tell me what types of lubricants you have used?

Dr. Owen :

do you use condoms too?

Dr. Owen :

Do you also get an odor after intercourse that might be fishy?

Dr. Owen :

hi

Customer:

First let me tell you I started with this problem in May of 2012

Dr. Owen :

okay

Customer:

my doctor said it was an alergic reaction to the condoms so i stop using them and i went into birth control he told me to change the laundry detergent i did i a few times, right now i use the detergent that people use to wash baby's cloths

Dr. Owen :

please try to stay in chat -

Dr. Owen :

Are you on a phone?

Customer:

buth yes

Customer:

yes am on phone

Dr. Owen :

ok

Dr. Owen :

the phone can be difficult to use - so try not to answer any calls or message until we are done - that way you do not get logged out - thanks

Customer:

i am chatting from the computer

Dr. Owen :

oh - okay

Dr. Owen :

can you tell what medications / creams you have used ?

Customer:

ok so the problem has grow, by september i was getting cuts around my vagina area, the doctor told me it was dryness and told me to use another cream,

Dr. Owen :

and is there an odor?

Customer:

yes is just going to take a moment

Customer:

no odor

Customer:

i dont' have an odor or discharge

Customer:

i am getting the creams please bare with me

Dr. Owen :

ok

Customer:

i will like to point out my desperation and worrisom i am married and although my husband doesnt' say it is obvious he is really frustrated with this situation, i am getting worst and worst every month

Dr. Owen :

okay

Customer:

the creams i have use are lidocaine ointment usp 5% this was for the pain after intercouse

Dr. Owen :

Have you had Cultures done for Viruses, Fungal and Bacteria?

Dr. Owen :

AND ALSO have you had a biopsy too?

Customer:

also triamcinolone acetonide usp 0.025%

Customer:

one more

Customer:

triamcinolone acetonide usp 0.1%

Customer:

and one doctor gave me pills metronidazole 500mg

Dr. Owen :

7:21 PM

AND ALSO have you had a biopsy too?

Customer:

this is my frustration, i don't have insurance and i don't have medical, all my doctor's visits have been paid cash, i have ask a couple of doctors to do more testing but the answer is always the same, "there is no need, no infection"

Customer:

oh and a biopsy? no i havent'

Dr. Owen :

So after a few days later - you have improved, correct?

Customer:

with the creams?

Dr. Owen :

well lidocaine is ONLY for pain - so that will not improve anything

Customer:

i know

Dr. Owen :

but does the triamcinolone help or the metro help

Customer:

triamcinolone 0.025% helps but only for a few days

Dr. Owen :

how about the metro?

Dr. Owen :

And, does this occur whether or not he ejaculates or not?

Customer:

metro helped for a couple of weeks i thought i was cured

Customer:

and then it came back

Dr. Owen :

okay - got it.

Customer:

yes it does whether or not he ejaculates

Dr. Owen :

What you are experiencing is a combination of a pH imbalance combined with a possible allergy to his semen...

Dr. Owen :

So what you can do are the following and ALL of these are available OVER THe COUNTER

Customer:

but when i first started we were using condoms that was my birthcontrol method until september of last year

Dr. Owen :

1. Use a Probiotic called RepHresh vaginal gel and also RepHresh PRO B pills - use daily for a week, then every other day.

Dr. Owen :

2. Use a vaginal moisturizer called Replens - this might help too.

Dr. Owen :

3. During intercourse - try using Vitamin E oil, it comes in massage oils.

Dr. Owen :

4. And, then use an anti-histamine called Zyrtec (this is also generic - so it not as expensive as it use to be) - it is an allergy medication

Customer:

are all these over the counter?

Dr. Owen :

And, the only way you really will get down to this is with a Culture for Virus, Fungal, and Bacteria, plus a Small 'punch' biopsy in one or two areas.

Dr. Owen :

ALL 4 (four) products are over the counter - and one or more of these should help you

Customer:

isnt' a biopsy to find traces of cancer?

Dr. Owen :

A biopsy is not just for cancer - it is also to determine different type of skin problems (even within the vaginal area) - so not just for cancer

Customer:

ok,

Dr. Owen :

So for example this could be vaginal skin problems such as Lichen

Customer:

one more thing, if and i only say if' i do have some kind of virus or bacteria is it normal to develop warts?

Dr. Owen :

so you can first try my suggestions and if they work - then wonderful - but if you are still having problems - then you will need to get this further evaluated by an ob/gyn - NOT a primary care doctor.

Dr. Owen :

warts ARE due to viruses - warts are due to HPV - Human Papilloma Virus - but NOT the cancer causing HPV.

Customer:

ok,

Customer:

because i am developing warts

Dr. Owen :

then this is due to HPV

Dr. Owen :

a medication called Aldara can help (but you would need a prescription for that)

Customer:

ok, do i still try the things you told me or do you believe i need to take action with my doctor?

Dr. Owen :

Well you can try what I suggested - until you can get seen by your doctor - because these might just help you

Dr. Owen :

ANd if they do - then that is wonderful for you then

Customer:

one more thing this is the last one i promise, if is hpv does my husband have it or is it just me. what i mean is it a STD? is this something he is going to give me again if he doesn't get treated?

Dr. Owen :

Well HPV IS a STD - we just don't talk about it as a STD - the problem is that HPV takes YEARS to develop so you can not blame anyone for it if you have either have had multiple partners prior to each other. Plus IF you SMOKE - you both need to quite since you have HPV - as smoking only helps HPV and HPV will stay around if you smoke, but will go away if you quite smoking.

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :

I wish you well

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Owen :

we only get credit when you give us a positive ratings

Dr. Owen :

Thank you

Dr. Owen :

Dr Owen

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, in the future, please ask for me, Dr owen

Dr. Owen :

Have a good weekend

Customer:

thank you

Customer:

you too have a wonderful weekend.

Dr. Owen :

:-)

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT - this would be appreciated for helping you

Dr. Owen :

Thank you

Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate