Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

anything I can do to make an upcoming routine gyn appointment

Customer Question

anything I can do to make an upcoming routine gyn appointment less scary or painful?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.

Dr. Owen :

Well there is nothing to be scared about - honestly

Dr. Owen :

We as ob/gyn's are NORMAL people

Dr. Owen :

we have kids

Dr. Owen :

we have spouses

Dr. Owen :

we are normal people

Dr. Owen :

so do NOT put the doctor in a white coat and a pedastal - just think of the doctor a 'friend' and TALK to your friend

Dr. Owen :

the word doctor means Teacher - so we are there to help you

Customer:

I'm scared of the doctor touching me

Dr. Owen :

and a pelvic exam - honestly - this is nothing worrisome.

Customer:

it hurts

Dr. Owen :

We as ob/gyn's do 20 plus exams per day

Dr. Owen :

IF it hurts - then your doctor can give you an antianxiety medication to take PRIOR to the exam - such as Lorazepam or Xanax - JUST one pill an hour prior to getting an exam

Dr. Owen :

this will help you to relax so it is not painful

Dr. Owen :

the exam should not be painful -

Customer:

ok, I'll try that........

Dr. Owen :

it is more anxiety than pain that you are feeling

Dr. Owen :

I give this prescription of ONE pill many times to women just like you - and then you can relax and get the exam you need.

Dr. Owen :

you should be absolutely fine.

Dr. Owen :

I assume you never had children - usually women who have had children do not concern themselves with annual exams.

Customer:

it is painful due to abnormal amounts of hypersensitive nerve endings and blood vessels that aren't normally there for someone like me...........who has a physical disability

Dr. Owen :

what disability?

Customer:

I'm suppose to be paralyzed in this area and numb..................spina bifida

Dr. Owen :

I exam women all the time with Multiple disabilities - and just using one of those medications I suggested really helps

Dr. Owen :

I have taken care of many women with spina bifida

Customer:

ok, I'll try that

Dr. Owen :

Just try Ativan, Lorazepam, or Xanax - one pill one hour prior to the exam and you should be fine

Customer:

and, no, I have not had children

Customer:

k

Customer:

that whole concept is too overwhelming to consider

Dr. Owen :

I understand - but we as ob/gyn's do this every day

Dr. Owen :

and I would see an ob/gyn for this exam - not a GP or family doctor - see a doctor like myself who do these exams all the time, multiple times per day -

Dr. Owen :

I wish you well

Customer:

thanks

Dr. Owen :

and think about the medications I suggested

Dr. Owen :

I wish you well

Customer:

I will

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT
thank you

Dr. Owen :

Dr Owen

Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it's over and I'm glad..............was very scary and painful........

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.
I am so happy for you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But I still am sore "down there" from the exam........what can I do about it? how long will it hurt like this? It's been a constant reminder of what I had to go through yesterday.

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.
okay so you are Not done and over then - I'm confused?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry. I had the exam yesterday morning. but I still am in pain from the exam. can I do anything to make the pain go away so I don't have to think about it anymore?

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.
what have you tried?
What medications do you have available at home?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm just gritting my teeth and baring it so far.............I've got tylenol and advil for sure

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.
This is pain / soreness Inside your vagina?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

um......................................I think.................I'm not use to feeling anything in that area, so I'm not sure where the pain is coming from

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.
Well as for the Advil - you can use 600mg every 6 hours, PLUS you can ADD Tylenol 1000 mg every 6 hours.

In addition you can try an over the counter medication called Vagisil - this might help you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

do I have to apply vagisil or take it?

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.
yes you apply it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

oh.................it won't hurt to apply it, will it?

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.
Well hard to say...I'm just trying tell you what might help you.

if you want stronger medication and pills - then you will need a prescription to Tramadol (Ultram), Percocet or Vicodin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, thanks

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.
you are very welcome