Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

Im 45 years old. I gave birth in 2007 and 2008. Normal pregnancies

Im 45 years old. I gave birth in 2007 and 2008. Normal pregnancies and through the canal. My last gyno visit was 10/2011. Normal results. In July of this year I had a normal period. August 8 I got my period and it was lighter than usual. Now I am spotting again, usually only when I pee. But not every time. I inserted my finger in my vagina to see if I could get blood on my finger. The answer was no. However I can feel lump just outside my cervix that is very round and smooth. It does not hurt, I can squeeze it between two fingers. It appears to be the size of a coffee bean, but more round in nature. If I push on the top it seems a little softer than when I squeeze it between 2 fingers. I have no abdominal pain, leg swelling or any tenderness when I push on my ovaries and uterus from the outside. Or when I insert my finger and move it around inside. Does a nabothian cyst cause spotting? Can it be cancer?

Dr. Owen :

Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.

Dr. Owen :

Hello

Dr. Owen :

This lump on the cervix - this is called a Nabothian cyst - this is VERY normal - we see these all the time - think of these as a 'pimple' on the cervix.

Dr. Owen :

A nabothian cyst just like a pimple can pop and hence can bleed/ spot.

Dr. Owen :

Other things that can cause this is a possible fibroid or even a polyp too.

Dr. Owen :

but also when spotting only during urination this could be an Urinary tract infection (UTI) or a possible urinary tract stone.

Dr. Owen :

Also something that is round and smooth - this is NOT concerning - as a precancer / cancer would not feel that way (just in case you were worried about a possible cancer).

Dr. Owen :

Now, since you are 45, a very common thing too would be a polyp - so a pelvic exam by an ob/gyn would be able to see this on an exam and if a polyp is there - it can be removed at the time of the exam - it is very easy to remove and does NOT cause pain either when being removed.

Dr. Owen :

Hello

Dr. Owen :

Are you there?

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you

Dr. Owen :

We are here to help you and we only get credit when you give us a Positive rating

Dr. Owen :

Thank you

Dr. Owen :

Dr Owen

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask - I'm still here

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Customer: I'm reading that it could be cervical cancer.
Dr. Owen :

No, cervical cancer does not appear ROUND and smooth

Dr. Owen :

there is SO much wrong information on the internet that scares so many people

Dr. Owen :

this is either a nabothian cyst which I think it is or a polyp but Nothng worse

Dr. Owen :

And with a normal PAP in 10/2011 - this is NOT going to be cancer - cancer just does not develop that quickly

Customer: I can squeeze it but its a little hard
Dr. Owen :

that is more likely a nabothian cyst - not a cancer

Dr. Owen :

Can just does NOT develop that quickly after a normal PAP - it never does

Customer: But a little hard, like hard rubber and very smooth. I also have had heavy periods my whole life. This period was lighter than usual. And then the spotting. It can't be uti I have no urge to pee and no
Customer: pain . Does a nabothian cyst cause some spotting
Dr. Owen :

Yes it can cause spotting

Dr. Owen :

But a fibroid and or a polyp can do the same - and these are not concerning either.

Dr. Owen :

so the ONLY way to know which you have is with a pelvic exam and a possible ultrasound - but you really do not need to worry about this.

Customer: thank you. I read horror stories online today I can't even eat. Even on webmd!
Dr. Owen :

I understand

Dr. Owen :

well do not worry

Dr. Owen :

I wish you well

Dr. Owen :

and a simple exam and ultrasound will clarify all of this.

Dr. Owen :

I wish you well

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCeLLENT for helping you