Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)

Wondering if I miscarried. I typically spot 75% of the time

Wondering if I miscarried. I typically spot 75% of the time and for the past few months its been constant. Then about 3 weeks ago I stopped bleeding entirely. A little over a week ago I was experiencing a little bit of nausea in the morning which subsided after a couple hours. On the third day of nausea I became crampy. I went to the bathroom and passed a clot the size of a half dollar. I went again about an hour later and the same thing. No other bleeding though. Later that night I began bleeding very heavily. The next morning it was even more heavy and I started having severe cramps. Which I don't normally get. I bled heavily for that day and then I slowed down drastically. I am not bleeding any more. My periods are never normal and rarely know when I'm having one since I spot/bleed the majority of the time. Thanks.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

Your symptoms do suggest the possibility of a miscarriage. nausea followed by passage of a clot, then heavy bleeding with cramps are typical of a miscarriage.

Another possibility is a high progesterone level just before you got the bleeding. A high progesterone level can cause some amount of nausea. the high level will also cause overgrowth of the endometrium. Heavy bleeding with clots will occur (withdrawal bleeding) once this high level comes down.

If you had had unprotected sex in the last month, I would be more inclined to go for a diagnosis of miscarriage.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is this something I should get checked out right away or am I okay to wait until my appointment on Sept. 18?
If you are not bleeding any more, then the uterus is empty and you can wait till Sept 18. If however, you bleed heavily again (which you might if there is any remnant of pregnancy tissue inside the uterus), then you will need to see a doctor as soon as possible - you will need an ultrasound of the uterus.