Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)

I am a 20-year old woman who has not gotten her period in two

I am a 20-year old woman who has not gotten her period in two months. I've taken four separate pregnancy tests on different days and all of them have come out negative so I'm fairly certain I am not pregnant. In high school, I used to have very irregular period, sometimes going a few months between each time, however, after getting to college it became much more regular. I am not on birth control, though I was previously for a time, I have gotten a period since being off of birth control. I have been having symptoms of a period coming (cramps) but nothing has happened, I was supposed to get have my period around the 5th of august. What could this be and what should my next steps be?

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

Irregular periods occur due to irregular ovulation - which means, release of an egg from the ovary. Irregular ovulation can occur due to a number of causes - stress, hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, anemia, excessive exercise mental strain etc.

Diabetes, obesity and PCOS are other causes.

Please consult an Obgyn - you will need a number of blood tests as well as an ultrasound of the uterus and ovaries.