Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)

I started having these really sharp pains in my vagina. They

I started having these really sharp pains in my vagina. They feel knife like, they do not go away when I sit or stand, it is excruciatingly painful, I really need help!

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

These pains are likely to be due to muscle spasms. Spasms can occur either due to an infection or due to trauma. They can even occur spontaneously without any known cause.

Please take Ibuprofen 400mg ( 2 200mg tablets) ,available without a prescription. They should help decrease the pain.

You also need to consult an Obgyn for a checkup.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What happens if the Ibuprofen does not help? I am in a lot of pain! I cannot risk getting the wrong answer right now, I start a new job on Friday and cannot afford an issue, and for sure cannot afford multiple doctors appointments at $40.00/piece....I need to be sure that I have all options covered please. I hope that you understand that I am not trying to be rude, I just cannot even walk right now without having to take a break!

The Ibuprofen will help - it is a very effective painkiller. But if the pain is that severe, and the Ibuprofen does not help, you really need to go to the ER for a stronger prescription strength painkiller and for tests to diagnose the cause.

You can also try applying a cold pack over the vulva - this can also decrease the pain to some extent.