Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

I have been on birth control pills for almost 11 months now,

I have been on birth control pills for almost 11 months now, minus 1 month in the middle when I decided to go off it. My family is conservative and don't know, they want a full body check up done while I will be on the last 7 doses of my 21/month pills this month. I want to know if I have to worry about it showing up on the test results, specially Thyroid tests, or prolactin. And can it be traced to me using BCP if I want to withhold the information from the performing doc, considering he is a family friend. Can high/low levels be attested to anything else if I don't inform them of my BCPs. I really want to keep this to myself.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question.

Routine examination or blood tests will not show up whether you are on BCP. The levels of thyroid hormones or prolactin will not be affected by the BCP.

BCP will affect the levels of the hormones FSH, LH, estrogen and progesterone.

So, unless these hormones are tested for (which is usually not done in a routine examination), no one will detect that you are on BCP.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply, I am almost at ease now.

My follow up is, if FSH, LH, estrogen and progesterone are tested, can the results be attested to anything else (eg menstrual cycles) etc? Will it be believable to the doctor and/or my family.

I just want to know if I can successfully withhold the information.

Karina,

If FSH, LH, estrogen and progesterone are tested, the results will show that your estrogen and progesterone levels are high while your FSH and LH are low.

This can be suspicious for BCPs. But you can always tell them that your menstrual cycles have been very irregular lately and you have been feeling stressed out and fatigued. Sometimes this can lead to hormonal imbalance.

It should be possible to hide that you are on BCP.

You can also stop taking the BCP - this will cause you to get your periods within 7 days of the last BCP. Your hormones will also become somewhat normalized. Any variations you have will be mild and negligible.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience: MD (Obst&Gynecology)