Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)

I had a Pap Smear and the M.D. told me my cervix had a white

I had a Pap Smear and the M.D. told me my cervix had a white covering or tissue over it.
She said, "That was abnormal to her." However she would send the sample away and if necessary contact a GYN. What would cause this?

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

A whitish covering or tissue over the cervix in someone who is above 60 years can be due to atrophic tissue, chronic cervicitis (infection of the cervix) or it can be due to abnormal cellular changes. Of these, atropic tissue ( old tissue which looks dehydrated and dead but is not abnormal) is more likely.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is it dangerous?? What can be done? Would it affect my sex drive as I hardly have any??

Without the biopsy report, it is difficult to say if this is dangerous. Atrophic tissue is not dangerous, but abnormal cellular changes are not good.

Your sex drive will not be affected.

But it is very likely that a low sex drive as well as atrophic tissue could be due to a low estrogen level and you may need estrogen supplements.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will the biopsy report show if cellular changes are normal or abnormal or is that another test then pap smear? Also how do you find out if atrophic tissue is due to low estrogen levels? Do estrogen levels show up in blood tests?

Yes, the biopsy report will show up cellular changes. The pap smear is a smear taken from the tissue. the biopsy is an examination of the actual tissue.

Atrophic tissue can be identified under the microscope and estrogen levels can be tested for in blood tests.