Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

I had unprotected sex with my husband last night and I am worried

I had unprotected sex with my husband last night and I am worried he did not withdraw in time. The morning after pill is not available in my country, can I use a contraceptive pill?

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

Yes, you can use the contraceptive pill.

The morning after pill contains 90mcg of progesterone. Most contraceptives contain 25 or 30 mg. If the contraceptive pill that you have contains 30 mg, you can take 3 pills and if it contains 25 mg, taking 4 pills will be equivalent to a morning after pill.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your response. I have not taken the contraceptive pill for a long time but I used to use Diane 35. Is this suitable?

Molly,

Diane 35 will not work, - it does not contain progesterone but Cyproterone acetate 2mg.

You will need a contraceptive containing progesterone.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Could I use Yasmin?

Yes, you can use Yasmin. It contains drospirenone which is a synthetic progestin, similar to progesterone.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How many Yasmin do I need to take initially. Do I then need to complete the course daily for 28 days?

You need to take 2 pills now and then 2 pills after 72 hours. You do not need to continue to take any more pills.