Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)

Hi I am 10 weeks pregnant. I went to the doctor today as I

Hi I am 10 weeks pregnant. I went to the doctor today as I suspected I have a bladder infection. My urine sample showed that I have an infection so they put me on amoxicillin and I have taken 2 pills so far today. Since the early afternoon I have not felt well. I have been very tired and have had 2 strong dizzy spells which left me feeling nauseous. I feel like I am running a fever so I checked my thermometer and it said 99.7F I have no Tylenol and I am afraid to take Advil. During my previous pregnancy I had multiple bladder infections, but they had very few symptoms. I am worried and don't know if I need to go to the emergency room as it is after hours here or if I can wait to see my doctor tomorrow morning.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 11 months ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

A temperature of 99.7 is on the high side and Tylenol would have been right for you. Advil is not safe in pregnancy.

Please wipe yourself with a cool cloth and see if that makes you feel better. If you can ask someone to get you some Tylenol, that will be best.

You do not need to go to the emergency but do need to see a doctor tomorrow.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Are these symptoms common with a bladder infection? I am worried about the infection spreading to my kidneys? I have no pain, but I feel nauseous and dizzy and I have never felt like that with a previous bladder infection.

Also, I know this may sound silly, but the only Tylenol I have in the house is Children's Tylenol. I suppose that will not work at my age???

Patricia,

I am afraid that yes, these symptoms do occur with UTI.

You can try drinking cranberry juice - it is safe in pregnancy and helps change the ph of the urine so that infections do not occur.

Also, you can take Children's Tylenol. 5 mL (1 teaspoonful) of Children's Tylenol contains 160 mg paracetamol. A standard adult dosage is 500mg. So you can take 3 tsp and get an approx adult dose.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your help. If my condition remains the same I will wait to see the doctor in the morning. What symptoms should I go to the emergency room for though if I start to feel worse through the night?

Please go to the ER if you feel any abdominal or back pain or if you see any spotting. Also if the temperature goes above 100 and does not come down with Tylenol.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you. I just have one more question. I am also having diarrhea this evening. Is this also another common symptom?

Diarrhea is a side effect of Amoxycillin. If it is mild, then you can continue with Amoxicillin - your body will adjust to the drug. If the diarrhea increases, then you will need to stop the Amoxicillin and take another antibiotic.
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience: MD (Obst&Gynecology)