Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)

I am 51 years old and on August 2nd I started taking a prescription

I am 51 years old and on August 2nd I started taking a prescription for Vagifem for vaginal dryness. Starting this morning, I felt very bloated and had the constant need to urinate. It is now late evening and I feel that I need to pee constantly, I only pee a little, and then I have a bad cramp afterward. In addition, I have blood spotting and I have not had a period for a couple of years. I wonder if I have some type of urinary infection from using the Vagifem.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

Your symptoms do suggest a UTI. But Vagifem does not cause an UTI. Vagifem has been associated with vaginal fungal infection and generally has minimal effect on the urinary tract.

Your having UTI is likely to be a coincidence.

A urine test will help identify if you do have an infection.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there a home remedy I can use to help ease my symptoms until I can call the doctor in the morning?

Thank you for your reply.

You can temporarily decrease the symptoms by changing the ph of the urine. You can do this by drinking plenty of Cranberry juice. You can also take AZO tablets, available without a prescription.

I hope this helps.