Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

Hello, I too have found a large smooth protruding lump

I too have found a large smooth protruding lump high up inside my vagina. I have felt for a while a pressure/ weight bearing down on me on inside. I can actually feel the lump whilst simply sitting down. There is a very strange smell too. Any thoughts?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.

Dr. Owen :

Hello

Dr. Owen :

Can you tell me about the smell/ odor - is it fishy?

Dr. Owen :

Also, have you delivered babies vaginally?

Dr. Owen :

Hi

Dr. Owen :

Hi - are you there?

Customer: Hello Dr Owen ( a good welsh name)
Dr. Owen :

thank you

Customer: Dear Dr Owen,
Customer: Dear Dr Owen, I had a c section whilst living in Malaysia. Never delivered vaginally. No the smell is not fishy but something else. I can feel this lump inside me now. I
Dr. Owen :

Do you have any problems with urinary leakage or retention?

Customer: Oh yes I do very much so
Customer: The pressure I feel is constant like a weight is pressing down inside me
Dr. Owen :

Okay - what you have is called POP - Pelvic Organ Prolapse - so what you are feeling is most likely the cervix that has Descended down from up high and hence also your 'bladder' is falling too from being pushed upon by the uterus / bladder. And, what this causes is pressure in your vagina on your bladder and this causes you to have urinary problems.... In addition, this can also cause problems with bowel movements such as constipation or 'stuck' bowels where sometimes women have to Push Down on their rectum through the vagina to enable the bowel to move down and out.

Dr. Owen :

So there is some help for you and usually an ob/gyn can take care of this.

Customer: What had caused this?
Dr. Owen :

And you might use a pessary for this (a pessary is an object made out of silicone - of various sizes and shapes - and must be fitted). But, many women actually elect to have some type of surgery performed such as a 'sling' to hold the bladder and uterus / cervix up, or sometimes a Hysterectomy is performed.

Dr. Owen :

So what causes this - honestly - is time and age - many women have this - and it varies in degree - some women have it worse than others

Dr. Owen :

Many are bothered by it

Dr. Owen :

Many are not bothered by it

Dr. Owen :

it all really depends.

Dr. Owen :

You sound like this is bothering you and bothers your normal daily living - so hence you would might really be a good 'candidate' to have surgery done to get this 'repaired' and hence you will feel much better.

Dr. Owen :

Many times the surgery can be done ALL through the vagina too - so you do not need an abdominal incision.

Customer: Thank you for putting my mind at test that there is nor some strange concerning thing. Do I need to get seen quickly? It feels so strange? Is it a major operation?
Dr. Owen :

No, this is not an emergency.

Customer: Is the weird odour related to this?
Dr. Owen :

And while this can be a major operation - this is actually a common operation.

Dr. Owen :

The odor is due to the fact that the tissue is becoming necrotic since you have some tissue dying due to the pressure on it - and hence you get an odor.

Customer: Oh that's good. In for a few days
Dr. Owen :

sometimes using Vagifem twice per week can help this too (this is an estrogen product that does need a prescription).

Dr. Owen :

so, you can wait, this is not an emergency.

Dr. Owen :

I hope I have helped

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you

Dr. Owen :

Thank you

Dr. Owen :

Dr Owen

Customer: Necrotic as in dying? I think the colour of my vulva is turning purplish too. Is this all linked?
Dr. Owen :

Necrotic - small areas of dying tissues since the blood supply is cut off a bit from the Pressure on that small amount of tissue, and the vulva too is all connected too.

Customer: So this about age not about me specifically. Will this affect my sex life in anyway once the op is done?
Dr. Owen :

yes - millions of women have the same problems

Dr. Owen :

it should not affect your sex life

Customer: Vagifem helps with odour?
Dr. Owen :

yes it will

Dr. Owen :

Also, after the surgery it helps to heal the tissue of the vagina too.

Customer: Oh the joys of ageing and I am such a young person in my heart. Thank you very much for your help. I feel more at peace about this tonight. Very glad I contacted you. I am welsh so filch un fawr iawn
Dr. Owen :

I wish you well

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr. Owen :

and if you have additional questions - please ask

Customer: Diolch
Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen :

I'm on the other side of the world from you in the U.S. -

Dr. Owen :

I wish you well

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr. Owen :

we appreciate Positive ratings and feedback for the time we have spent with you

Dr. Owen :

Thank you

Dr. Owen :

Dr Owen

Dr. Owen :

Can you see the EXCELLENT button - it is near the Smile face?

Dr. Owen :

Do you think I did an Excellent job helping you?

Dr. Owen :

Hello - are you there?

Customer: Yes I will do that shortly promise .
Dr. Owen :

thank you

Customer: so clearly pelvic floor exercises won't help?
Dr. Owen :

Usually not

Customer: Is it pregnancy childbirth that causes this really?
Dr. Owen :

Many people try the pelvic floor exercises, stimulation, etc..but eventually if they want more help, they usually proceed with a surgical correction.

Customer: Ok so yes it seems mine has gone beyond that
Dr. Owen :

Most of the time it is pregnancy because that stretches the ligaments of the pelvic floor muscle group. But I do see women who have never had pregnancies, but most are due to pregnancy issues

Customer: ok. Probably surgery is needed. I feel that makes sense rather than having this uncomfortable situation.
Dr. Owen :

especially for the rest of your life - better to be comfortable.

Customer: Thank you thAt is good advice. Good night
Dr. Owen :

You are welcome

Dr. Owen :

Please don't forget to click on EXCELLENT before you leave

Dr. Owen :

Thank you

Dr. Owen :

Dr Owen

Dr. Owen :

You can always ask follow up questions free of charge too Even after you click on EXCELLENT - even days later.

Dr. Owen :

but we only get credit for helping you if you click on EXCELLENT

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen :

Dr Owen

Dr. Owen :

Have a good evening

Dr. Owen :

Do you think I did an EXCELLENT job?

Dr. Owen :

Hello - are you there?

Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate