Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

I have been taking loestrin fe 24 for a year now. I jus started

I have been taking loestrin fe 24 for a year now. I jus started taking xenical and now I am spotting beteen periods. Is this normal?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.

Dr. Owen :

hello

Customer:

GOOD MORNING DR.

Dr. Owen :

why are you taking the Xenical

Dr. Owen :

for weight loss

Customer:

TO LOOSE SOME POUNDS

Dr. Owen :

yes

Dr. Owen :

and how long have you been taking the xenical

Dr. Owen :

and have you lost any weight yet and how much?

Customer:

3 WEEKS

Customer:

JUST 2 POUNDS.

Dr. Owen :

okay

Dr. Owen :

Well you are ON the way that is good

Dr. Owen :

Well the spotting is NOT due to the Xenical

Customer:

WHY AM I SPOTTING?

Customer:

IT NEVER HAPPENED TO ME

Dr. Owen :

but it has to do with the fact your body is NOW starting to lose some weight and changing your metabolism

Dr. Owen :

so it is normal to have bleeding /spotting as you are losing weight

Dr. Owen :

So this is a GOOD thing so far for you, and just make sure you do NOT miss taking your loestrin

Dr. Owen :

Now, also given you are 42, I would check too to see if the spotting is due to a thyroid condition or to something such as a polyp

Dr. Owen :

So, you should get a TSH thyroid blood test

Dr. Owen :

and also get a pelvic exam to check for a polyp or some other reason to possibly bleed / spot

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Customer:

OK.. I JUST WANT TO LOOSE SOME 10 POUNDS. I AM NOT OVERWEIGHT AT ALL.. I WEIGHT 140 POUNDS. AND A FRIEND RECOMENDED ME TO TAKE XENICAL FOR 8 WEEKS

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr. Owen :

Okay perfect

Dr. Owen :

also Combine the weight loss with exercise too - that way it stays off

Dr. Owen :

xenical is safe -

Dr. Owen :

and yes a good idea to use for 8 weeks

Customer:

OK THANK YOU SOO MUCH. THE SPOTTING IS LIGHT BROWN . NOT RED AT ALL.

Dr. Owen :

okay

Dr. Owen :

that is absolutely fine

Customer:

OK.. THANKS DOC.

Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate