Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate

Hello. 37 weeks 1 day pregnant. For last week or so I have

Hello. 37 weeks 1 day pregnant. For the last week or so I have felt a burning sensation off and on on the front of my abdomen surrounding my navel and above. Unfortunately, it had subsided today at my doctor appointment so I neglected to ask him about it. The burning sensation is back. It is now concentrated to the right of my belly button and definitely feels like it is coming from inside. What could this be?

This is on area where I had bruise pain after tiny fender bender at 28 weeks.

Also, I had a subchorionic hematoma at 7 weeks pregnant.
Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.
Since you are 37 weeks - you are going to feel all kinds of odd feelings - these are absolutely normal.
And a subchorionic hematoma you had at 7 weeks is More than likely resolved - so do not worry about that.
and the bruising you had at 28 weeks is more than likely resolved too.

And you might just be feeling an occasional contraction which is absolutely normal at 37 weeks.

I hope this helps
Please click on EXCELLENT
Thank you XXXXX
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I mentioned it to nurse on Monday. Forgot to mentioned to doc today as it comes and goes. It really gets quite severe like internal sunburn. Would placental abrupt ion pain come and go?

I spoke with on call doc and she was hardly reassuring saying it could be abruption even with excellent nst today. I did not want to go to hospital at midnight to have another nst and US in the er which likely would not help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The reason I mentioned the hematoma is that it might increase my risk for abruption. It did clear
If you had placental abruption you would be in such SEVERE pain and bleeding - YOU would know it - this is not abruption.
this is sounds like contractions such as Braxton - Hicks contractions

You had a normal NST - so this is not an abruption.
so try to relax -
I wish you well
Please click on EXCELLENT
thank you XXXXX
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. I'll try to rest. However, what about silent abruptions?

Also, upper back pain, and abdomen very hard when standing.
Honestly - I have NEVER seen a silent abruption - that is a wives tale -
I've been practicing ob/gyn for 20 years -
you are fine
these are contractions - and this is Normal.

I wish you well
Have a good day
Please click on EXCELLENT
thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. I'm definitely having contractions. Very distinct, but they don't explain the sunburn pain that is almost shocking at times and not correlated to contractions.

Thank you.
That is a very common symptom pain you have with contractions - because skin and muscles are contracting and stretching - so this is the pain you can get - honestly - and I understand you look at every symptoms, and sign and you are concerned - but you can relax - stop worrying.

I wish you well
Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you
thank you
Dr Owen
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. I think I understand. Contractions can cause that on off burning pain but the pain will not necessarily be during contraction, correct?

And side note, variability down to 110 is fine?

Signing off now ...
Yes they can
and YES variability even to 70 is okay
so do not worry
Thank you