Dr. Tim, MD
Dr. Tim, MD, Board Cert. OB/GYN
Experience:  General OB/GYN, complicated obstetrics, complicated GYN
62949540

I have a red discoloration of my vaginal area AND RECAL AREA

I have a red discoloration of my vaginal area AND RECAL AREA THE SKIN COLOR IS NORMALLY BROWN NOW IT IS RED I ALSO HAVE A DRYNESS IN MY VAGINA IAM 57 CAN YOU TELL ME SOMETHING THAT CAN HELP ME PLEASE

Dr. Tim, MD :

Hello, I would be happy to help you today with your question.

Dr. Tim, MD :

Please give me a minute to review your question.

Dr. Tim, MD :

Are you having any symptoms such as burning or itching?

Customer:

itching in the vaginal area

Dr. Tim, MD :

What exactly was the cream that she gave you?

Customer:

it was some type of steroid cream that they treat vitilingo

Dr. Tim, MD :

Did the dermatologist even entertain the idea that this might have been a yeast infection?

Customer:

no, does that call discoloration

Dr. Tim, MD :

Here is what I think - please give me a minute to type:

Customer:

I am a diabetic I don't know how long I have the discoloration found it easter iam obese don't laugh so I couldn't see it

Dr. Tim, MD :

1. I think that your dermatologist is not comfortable with vulvar / vaginal dermatology
2. It sounds like they did not communicate well with you
3. The most common cause of vulvar redness and itching in a post-menopausal woman with diabetes is a yeast infection
4. While the steroid cream might help with the symptoms of itching, it is likely not treating the underlying cause of itching
5. There are vulvar dermatologic conditions that can look like vitiligo. One is called Lichen Planus and can also present with itching and WHITENING AND THINNING of the skin
6. Lichen Planus is treated with steroid cream

Dr. Tim, MD :

BUT, I think that this really sounds like a yeast infection!

Dr. Tim, MD :

Are you on any medications currently? What are they?

Customer:

maxide , lovastatin, synthroid kcl20 celexa

Dr. Tim, MD :

Please give me a few minutes to review any interactions with yeast medications.

Dr. Tim, MD :

Yeast medication given in an oral form, called diflucan, MAY increase the concentration of lovastatin and celexa. For this reason, it would be reasonable to treat this topically as a yeast infection. You could treat this over-the-counter with a yeast cream, such as monistat. It would be worth trying this for about 7 days. If you had a poor response, then it would be worth seeing an OB/GYN.

Dr. Tim, MD :

What do you think?

Dr. Tim, MD :

It sounds like a yeast infection - that is what causes red itchy skin!

Customer:

I tried about 3 tube of vagacil otc cream it didn't help

Dr. Tim, MD :

What is the name of the steroid cream?

Customer:

do I have cancer or a didease and how do u no if u have vitilingo

Dr. Tim, MD :

You do not have cancer. This is not how vulvar cancer presents. Vitiligo present as loss of pigmentation of the skin - the skin would appear discolored and whitish.

Customer:

I wish ii could remember but it did help a little some of the color was coming back

Dr. Tim, MD :

So, if it is vitiligo OR lichen planus, the treatment is steroid cream. Perhaps given that the OTC yeast medication did not work, you should continue with the steroid cream. I would also recommend scheduling a visit with an OB/GYN to see what they think. Sometimes a biopsy of the skin can be very helpful.

Dr. Tim, MD :

Does this answer your question?

Customer:

it is discolored it not brown the color is gone like depigmentation I will try the monoistat

Dr. Tim, MD :

I would try a combination of the monistat and the steroid cream.

Dr. Tim, MD :

If you are satisfied, please provide a POSITIVE RATING. It has been a pleasure to help you with this question!!

Customer:

thank u so much you have answer more questions for me . this is my first time doing so forgive for my errors

Dr. Tim, MD :

You did great!! If you have future questions, please ask for me, Dr. Tim. Please remember to provide a positive rating!

Dr. Tim, MD :

Good luck!