Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

Im 37 weeks pregnant on Wednesday. Can a fetus move literally

I'm 37 weeks pregnant on Wednesday. Can a fetus move literally ALL day and that is normal? Very active crazy and good NST at 10:30 this morning and CONSTANT movement since. Is this ok?

Welcome and thank you for your question.

Yes, this is perfectly normal - the fetus can move the whole day and be very active. Increased movement is not a problem, less movement is of concern and needs to be assessed.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you! He seems to finally be resting. It felt so drastically different that I checked heart with Doppler. Definite reduction in variability but I think he's sleeping. When I tapped my belly, variability increased momentarily. If he were in trouble, would tapping belly be able to increase variability or not? Should I see this as a good sign? Very mellow right now.
Reina,

He seems perfectly fine. Tapping the belly will normally cause increased variability. If he were in trouble, variability would not be affected.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If I understand, if his oxygen was compromised, he would not raise in heart rate by artificial means?
If his oxygen is compromised, his heart rate would increase and remain increased ( usually above 160) - it would vary with tapping the belly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Got it. Oxygen issues do not affect variability but do increase baseline above 160. Correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He's awake now and in 140s 150s and acels to 160s 170s
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Also variable to 130s brief 120s. Seems mostly 140s
A heart rate of 140 - 150 is normal. The heart rate may increase briefly above 160 when the baby first wakes up but will settle down to around 120 -140.

You have no cause for concern.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. Excellent service. One last question. This baby gets hiccups 3 - 4 times per day up to 20 minutes. He's on his 3rd bout today as I type. Is this any indication of distress?
No, this is not an indication of an illness. Hiccups occur because he swallows fluid and this can cause hiccups once in a while.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry to bother you again, but I just came upon an OB nurses forum and they were discussing too much fetal movement and a few said they knew of cases where too much or frantic fetal movement proceeded stillbirth from cord issues. My baby is still moving. On 11 hours now with maybe a total of 45 minutes rest today.
Frantic fetal movements will not precede a stillbirth. if the cord is around the neck of the baby or is causing any issues, the baby will become quieter and quieter and less movements before a stillbirth occurs.

An active baby is a healthy baby.

The nurses on that forum are wrong.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I very much appreciate that. Final understanding: movements will become progressively slower - loss of kick counts, etc... It is still expected to have movement, then very little for sleep cycle, yes?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just called my on call OB. Checked again with Doppler and all good except fall below 110 2x after acel and lingered a bit long... 10 seconds maybe
Reina,

A baby in trouble will have less fetal movement, not more.

So, you are OK.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Even with drop to 105 briefly?
Yes, a one time drop to 105 is OK as long as it stabilizes again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It was 2x each following acels in a row
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Still ok? Went back to 120s 130s within 10-15 seconds. Probably sooner
Yes, still OK.

Please don't get stressed - the baby is OK.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for everything. I probably listened a total of maybe 5 min on Doppler. Hadn't used in a couple of days. That's not damaging is it?
No, the Doppler will not affect the baby in any way.