Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

Is surgery ever required to cure or remove dead trichomanas

Is surgery ever required to cure or remove dead or living trichomanas from the vagina or uterus?  If so, is the surgery expensive and require more than two visits?

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

Surgery is never necessary to remove dead or living trichomonas. These are very tiny organisms, visible only under a microscope. They can be killed off with medicines like Metronidazole. Once they die, they degenerate ( break down into smaller pieces) . These pieces come out with the vaginal discharge or even spontaneously - they do not need to be removed.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What are the exact symptoms and what is the worst case senario of infection.

Patsy,

The main symptoms of a trichomonas infection is a greenish-yellowish frothy vaginal discharge with an unpleasant or fishy smell. There is usually intense itching in the vulva which may also extend to the outside of the vagina. Passing urine may cause soreness and pain . Sex will be painful.

Left untreated, the infection may spread upwards to the uterus and the fallopian tubes. It can cause inflammation of the vagina, urethra and cervix and to pelvic inflammatory disease. Pain in the lower abdomen will be severe. The immune system will be affected and the the woman may be at risk for infection with other bacteria and viruses.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you much. It definitely does.

You are welcome, Patsy.

Do let me know if you need help again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One last question. What is the treatment for the worst case senario you just described.

Metronidazole as well as broad spectrum antibiotics will need to be given IV so a hospital stay may be necessary. Other supportive treatment for pain, fever etc will also be needed.