Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)

Is it possible that I am pregnant? My belly is getting bigger

Is it possible that I am pregnant? My belly is getting bigger and rounder and I have eaten the same things as always. I am a healthy person and I am usually very small but lately I cannot zip my pants up! I would be around 3-4 months pregnant. I am getting negative tests results. No blood work done. I also have vaginal bleeding for 1-2 days each month when I normally have my period for 3-7 days. I am very confused! Is it possible for me to be pregnant? I don't know what else to think. My mother did not get a positive test result for me until she was 2 and a half months pregnant.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

When did you get your last period? Was it a normal period with normal bleeding?

When did you have unprotected sex?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my period was about a week ago and it lasted for a day. The month before that it was only for a day. I have cramping that goes with it , but nothing too bad. It was lighter than usual. I had sex around the middle of march to the beginning of April.

Have you taken a pregnancy test? when and what was the report?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes I have. It was negative. It was a home pregnancy test.

Thank you for the additional information.

Less bleeding during the periods together with unprotected sex is usually suggestive of a pregnancy. But pregnancy tests are very reliable and a negative pregnancy test indicates that you are not pregnant.

Also , if you had unprotected sex around the middle of March to April, then you will be about 3-4 months pregnant now - at this stage, the pregnancy test will be completely accurate.

The abdomen increases in size only from around the end of 3 months. At 4 months, it should be noticeably enlarged. So the enlargement of your abdomen is not due to pregnancy.

Please consult an Obgyn and ask for an ultrasound.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what would the ultrasound be for?

The ultrasound would check if you are really pregnant and the pregnancy tests were wrong. it would also check if you have any problem in the uterus and ovaries.