Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)

I am a 60 year old woman who has past menopause. I havent

I am a 60 year old woman who has past menopause. I haven`t had sex in 3 years, and now that I have, I am bleeding. what can this be caused from?

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

There are many causes for postmenopausal bleeding. For someone who has had sex after a long time, the common cause is bleeding from the dry vaginal walls. Estrogen causes dryness of the vaginal tissues - during sex, the friction can cause the tissues to undergo mild trauma and bleed. It is very likely that this is what you have.

Infection of the vaginal walls can also cause bleeding after sex, more so in post menopausal bleeding.

A third cause is a growth in the cervix or vagina - this can be potentially dangerous since growths at this age are usually malignant.

Please consult an Obgyn for a checkup to rule out a growth ( although chances are that you probably have bleeding from dry vaginal walls).

I hope this helps.