Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)

I am a 79 yr old female. I had a total hysterectomy when I

I am a 79 yr old female. I had a total hysterectomy when I was 51. I was set up for a total knee replacement on July 15th but in the preadmission testing they found bacteria in my urine so I had to be treated for that and the surgery was postponed. I have had this problem off and on for 2 years or more. I have taken several different antibiotics but a follow up was never done. In May an urinalysis showed I had many bacteria in my urine and had another urinalysis done to identify the bacteria and was put on ampecillan(Sp) but in June I still had bacteria in my urine when they did the preadmission testing. I was put on Bactrim 800mgs twice a day for 7 days and was retested. It was a little better but there was still some bacteria so I was put on Nitrofurantoin Mono 100mg cap 2 times daily for 10 days. I never get burning or itching with this but there is an odor sometimes fishy. I began searching on the computer about this and found information about VD. So I made an appt. with a gynecologist and he sort of blew me off when I told him I had used a Vagisil screening kit for vaginal infections. The results were a dark blue indicating
a high ph reading of 7.5. He said those tests are crap and said I did not have BV and said to continue with the Bactrim for a UTI. I have finished the Nitrofurantoin Mono and had another urinalysis done and will receive the results of that tomorrow but I could tell the urine still is not right and there is still an odor. I bought another Vagisil Kit today and tested myself twice and the reading is much improved showing a 5.0 ph but still indicating there is still some bacteria in the vagina. I am quite sure this has been the problem all along and nobody picked it up. I need to be put on an antibiotic for a vaginal infection and I'm sure my urine will be clean. I have a very bad marriage and I haven't had sex for many many years so that is not a contributing factor. I am very depressed and need to have this surgery. What can I do. Can you suggest an antibiotic for a vaginal infection?

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

I am very sorry to hear of your problem.

Vaginal infections are not exactly uncommon in postmenopausal women. This is because the low estrogen level causes the cells to be vulnerable to infections ( estrogen is protective for the vaginal tissues). Even bacteria which may not affect a women with normal estrogen levels cam cause an infection in a postmenopausal women.

You need a vaginal swab taken for a lab test. A vagisil kit is not very reliable since the ph of the vagina can change to many causes other than an infection. But a fishy odor is suggestive of Bacterial vaginosis. Please consult another Obgyn and tell him/her about the fishy odor and ask for a vaginal swab test. Do not mention the Vagisil.

Also, repeated urine infections can indicate the presence of a foci of infection in the urinary tract like a stone. I hope you have had an ultrasound done. You also need a culture and sensitivity test of the urine done so that the bacteria in the urine can be accurately diagnosed and the antibiotic which will be effective in killing off that bacteria can be identified.

I hope this helps.