Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)

I went to a gynecologist for pelvic pain he suggested to me

I went to a gynecologist for pelvic pain he suggested to me to have laparoscope don to check for endometriosis. The thing is I have already been having a lot of pain with this for a month can't eat or drink anything is that what you would usually recommend to wait for a month to see if the pain will go away.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 8 months ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today. Can I have more details please?

- Does the pain occur constantly throughout the month or does it occur only during the periods?

- Does the pain increase or occur during sex?

- Where exactly is the pain? if you were asked to point with one finger at the site of pain, where would you point at the pelvic region? Left lower side, right lower side etc?

- Since when have you had the pain? Has it increased since you first had it?

- Does it increase when you eat? Or when you have a BM?

- Do you have diarrhea or constipation?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes it is constantly, not currently having sex, lower right side, yes And no , constipation
Krista,

Thank you for the additional information.

Endometriosis is a condition in which bits of the endometrium (the inner uterine lining) develop in sites other than the uterus. This causes pain which is generally more during the periods ( since the endometrium bleeds during the periods).

The pain from endometriosis is usually not constant.

Pain in the lower right side which is constant and affecting your eating is more likely to originate from the colon. Conditions like IBS, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis can cause this type of pain.

This type of pain can also be due to pelvic inflammatory diseases. Please ask your gynecologist to order an ultrasound as well as take a vaginal swab for a lab test.

While you do need a laparoscoy to rule out endometriosis, you also need a stool test and a colonoscopy to check out the colon.

You do not need to wait for a month for a diagnosis. Please consult a internal medicine specialist or a specialist in gastrointestinal diseases.

Meanwhile please take Ibuprofen 200mg thrice a day after food - it is available without a prescription.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do you need a referral from your primary doctor to see these specialists?
No, You can consult them directly.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience: MD (Obst&Gynecology)