Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)

I have a vaginal tear due to rough sex during my period. How

I have a vaginal tear due to rough sex during my period. How should I care for it to help it heal?

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

The main aim of treatment is to prevent infection. The tear will heal spontaneously if there is no infection.

If the tear is on the edge of the vagina, please apply a warm wet pack on it for 10 minutes twice a day. Wringing out a face towel in warm water will do as a pack. Do not rub. This will help clean up any dead cells or debris in the tear. Dry off by patting with another soft cloth or gauze ( sterile gauze is available at all stores) and then apply Neosporin ointment.

If the tear cannot be reached easily, please apply Neosporin with the finger . You do not have to do anything else.

Change your underwear at least twice daily to prevent any spread of bacteria to the tear.

Avoid sex for at least 2 weeks.

It will take up to 7-10 days for the tears to heal depending on its size.

I hope this helps.