Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)

When do ovaries stop producing hormones? I had a partial hysterectomy

When do ovaries stop producing hormones? I had a partial hysterectomy 4 years ago along with mesh for prolapsed bladder which fell in 6 days. I now have to have sling removed and will have bladder suspension but dr. wants to take ovaries as well which I would like to keep as feel need the hormones. I take a low dose 0.375 Vivelle Dot patch and feel need higher dose as have been agitated, depressed and many other symptoms of hormone imbalance.
I am afraid if ovaries are removed I will be even more deficient than I am already.
thank you for your help- confused and anxious

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

Ovaries stop producing hormones after the menopause. the amount of estrogen produced by the ovaries start decreasing at around the age of 40 years and by the time menopause occurs, the level of estrogen produced is minimal.

You can ask your doctor for a test for a hormone known as FSH - the level of FSH will tell you if you are menopausal. You can also get a test done for estrogen levels.

At 53 years, it is likely that you are producing very minimal estrogens and removal of the ovaries will not have any impact on its level.

Your doctor probably wants to remove the ovaries to remove any risk of ovarian cancers, common at this age.

Please get the blood tests done and decide on whether you want the ovaries to be kept or not.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been under an extreme amount of stress and do not know if I should increase hormones or wait until after surgery to see if symptoms dissipate? thanks

Please wait till after the surgery to decide if you should increase the hormones.

Stress can cause hormonal imbalance and it is very likely that after the surgery is over, your hormonal levels will balance spontaneously.

I hope this helps.