Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)

About four weeks ago I had gone in for my six month post LEEP

About four weeks ago I had gone in for my six month post LEEP pap smear. The results came back as LGSIL cannot exclude HGSIL. I was pretty surprised because my LEEP had clear margins but it was HGSIL and I have tested HPV+ before. I am scheduled for a colposcopy in about a week. I'm seeking amplifying information on what these results mean. Does that just mean there is a little bit of HGSIL? Or it's just possible that it could be there. Also, I've heard that the LEEP is supposed to be very successful at least for a while, six months after LEEP and I could be back at square one? How many of these procedures can one have before they can't have children? Could the doctor have missed something on the LEEP? I know these are probably questions I should be asking my PCM and I intend to, but I am just getting a little antsy, especially because I have had to wait a while for my colpo appointment.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

The report indicates that the tissue is basically LGSIL but at some places are suspicious for HGSIL. So HDSIL cannot be excluded. More tissue will be needed for an accurate diagnosis and a colposcopy will be needed.

If you have the high risk strain of HPV ( Strains 16 and 18) then the cells may show LGSIL or HGSIL changes within 6 weeks. It is only if the HPV is of a low risk strain that a women may not show any changes or even be cured by a LEEP.

It is unlikely that the doctor missed anything on LEEP.

The number of LEEPS that can be done before you getting pregnant can be difficult depends on how much of the cervical tissue is removed at each LEEP and how thick the cervix is at the initial procedure. Usually, 3 LEEPS can be safely done and adequate cervix can remain for a pregnancy.

I hope this helps.
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience: MD (Obst&Gynecology)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the straight forward answers.