Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

Hello - I received results from an initial ultrasound today

Hello -

I received results from an initial ultrasound today and was hoping for some clarification. The results were as follows: The uterus size was normal (although my gyno felt it was a little enlarged upon pelvic exam), There was Heterogeneous myometrium likely due to small fibroids, the endometrium was within normal limits for a premenopausal patient. There was an apparent small fluid collection in the superior endometrial cavity, probably a small amount of blood.

I had the ultrasound because ever since I have stopped taking the birth control pill, about 2 years ago, I have experienced heavier periods, especially the first two days, paired with sometimes quite painful cramping on the first two days as well which are quieted by a normal dose of ibuprofen. I am 41 and have regular periods as far as length, and they occur like clockwork for the most part each month. Although perhaps unrelated, I was recently diagnosed with low-thyroid as well at 5.3.

Thank you for your response!

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

Myometrium means the muscular wall of the uterus. Normally it is homogenous - meaning that the appearance is the same in every part of teh wall. Heterogenous indicates that the appearance of the muscles on ultrasound is not even - it is denser in some areas, possibly due to the presence of fibroids. Since fibroids are made up of fibrous tissue mixed with muscle cells, it appears denser than normal muscles.

The endometrum is the inner lining of the uterus - in your case, it is normal.

The endometrial cavity is usually empty but sometimes it can hold fluid. Presence of blood could mean either that the ultrasound was done very close to your periods and the blood collection is normal. Or it could mean that there is increased blood flow to the endometrium ( as can happen when there are fibroids in the muscles or just under the endometrium) leading to oozing of blood into the endometrial cavity.

The heavy bleeding and cramps that you suffer from during the periods is also due to the fibroids.

The standard treatment in this case is a hysterectomy - removal of the uterus.

I hope this helps.