Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.

35 weeks pregnant blood pressure 140/100. Is that very high?

35 weeks pregnant blood pressure 140/100. Is that very high? OB send me to do some blood work and if stays high next week, he'll induce me. Is high Bp a very severe thing? Will it cause harm to baby?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Monika Hearne, M.D. replied 1 year ago.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Hello, I would be happy to assist you.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Hypertension in pregnancy is very common, but is potentially life threatening for both you and the baby.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Do you have any headaches, vision changes, or upper abdominal pain?

Customer: No but recently sometimes I feel nauseous. Just started yesterday
Customer: Only once or twicd
Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Your doctor is sending you to have testing performed to see if you have pre-eclampsia. This is a condition that is poorly understood, but is your body 'reacting' to the pregnancy. This reaction may be mild and is in most cases. However, in some cases can become quite severe and life threatening. If your blood test results are concerning, your doctor would even induce you this week. However, if they are normal and you do not develop any symptoms, you may continue your pregnancy up to 39 weeks. The time in which you deliver is based on your doctor's concern and preference.

Customer: What causes high Bp?
Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Your body is reacting to the pregnancy by contracting your blood vessels and this causes hypertension

Customer: So it's not something that's preventable or something I did or ate caused it?
Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Correct. The cause is unknown, but is very common in your first pregnancy if you are a teenager, if you are over 35, already have high blood pressure, or other chronic medical issues. Most women are healthy.

Customer: Don't have any of that and I'm only 32. My Bp was 125/80 last week. Just all of a sudden spiked this week
Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Then your cause is unknown.

Customer: So if test results r normal, I'm still ok to continue even Bp is high?
Customer: He ordered a bunch of stuff. What is considered abnormal? Like protein in urine?
Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Yes, but you should be monitored in your doctor's office 1-2 times per week.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

A certain level of protein will confirm pre-eclampsia.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

The other tests are looking for abnormalities caused by pre-eclampsia like liver damage for example.

Customer: ok. Will wait for test results then. Just Bp itself can't confirm anything right
Monika Hearne, M.D. :

BP and protein testing over 6 hours in a hospital can confirm pre-eclampsia.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

BP alone, no.

Customer: Why preeclampsia is so harmful to baby?
Monika Hearne, M.D. :

The constriction of the blood vessels can reduce blood flow and the high blood pressure can cause the placenta to separate. Either or both can lead to loss of the baby and can be life threatening for you as well.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

If the symptoms develop I asked you about above, you should go to your hospital.

Customer: Ok. Got it. Thanks
Experience: With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.