Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)

Hi, I just got an IUD (Mirena) on June 25th. Ever since then,

Hi, I just got an IUD (Mirena) on June 25th. Ever since then, There's always been a little blood every day, but it's darker and..thicker? Is this normal? My doctor didn't have time to talk about it with me, and just told me to go to a website about Mirena... I would appreciate some help, please and thank you.

Welcome and thank you for your question.

Some amount of spotting is normal in the first month after insertion of Mirena. Dark and thick blood indicates that the bleeding is not heavy. the dark colour is due to denaturation of blood and occurs when the when the blood remains inside the vagina or uterus for some time.

If you have severe pain or cramps, it can indicate an infection. If not, you can wait and watch for another 1-2 weeks.

You can also ask your doctor for a prescription for a medicine called Tranexamic acid - it will stop the bleeding with a day or two.

I hope this helps.