Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)

If a male and female both have HSV-2, regardless of use or

If a male and female both have HSV-2, regardless of use or non-use of the anti-virals such as Valtrex, will the virus be passed on to their unborn child?

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

HSV can pass to a newborn during vaginal childbirth from the mother. If the mother does not have HSV but the father is positive for the condition, then the child cannot get HSV. HSV passes from the mother to the child, not from the father to the child since HSV is not transmitted with the sperm.

Also HSV is passed mainly during vaginal childbirth. Infeciton while the baby is still in the uterus is very uncommon since the baby usually picks it up during its passage through the vagina. If the mother has an active genital herpes infection at the time of delivery, the baby is more likely to become infected during birth

The risk of neonatal herpes is highest, by far, for women who become infected with herpes during their pregnancy, especially those who get infected near the end of their pregnancy.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the answer. I understand about transmission in-utero and during vaginal birth. I hadn't known that it can't be transmitted through sperm. Thank you for that information. I guess my question was more about genetic transmission. I'm not sure if that's the correct term. Once one has contracted it, does it become part of one's genetic make-up? Similar to HIV.

No, HSV does not become part of the genetic makeup and cannot be transmitted by sperms.

Once a person is infected by HSV, the virus remains dormant in the nerve roots , flaring up from time to time when the immune system is down for some reason.

I hope that helps.