Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

I used a porta potty the other day at the beach and dropped

I used a porta potty the other day at the beach and dropped a piece of toilet paper. When I went to pick it up, I noticed a quarter sized drop of what looked like fresh blood on the floor. My finger was damp from picking up the toilet paper but I didn't see any blood on my hand. I also tried to make sure not to use that hand when wiping but I'm not sure if my other hand touched the one that might have touched the blood. Is there any way I could have possibly contracted hiv from this potential exposure, whether from my hand or from wiping myself after using the bathroom? I'm 7 months pregnant and really worried.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.

Dr. Owen :

Hello

Dr. Owen :

No, honestly this would be almost impossible

Dr. Owen :

We have NEVER seen this happen

Dr. Owen :

The reason is that you really would need a much LARGER infusion of blood then what you just described to get HIV, so you really do NOT need to worry about this.

Dr. Owen :

I hope this reassures you

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT (please do not click on poor or bad)

Dr. Owen :

Your body protects you a LOT and hence even if you put your full hand in a bowl of HIV infected Blood - your hand would protect you because of the skin - so you do NOT need to worry.

Dr. Owen :

Dr Owen

Dr. Owen :

Thank you

Dr. Owen :

hi

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Dr. Owen :

But I really think you are safe and you do NOT need to worry

Dr. Owen :

You can ask your doctor for another HIV test at your next pregnancy appointment - and you should have had one already done earlier in your pregnancy and the next HIV should remain negative - so hence you are reassured that you are not positive for HIV

Dr. Owen :

I hope that helps

Dr. Owen :

I am still here if you have more questions

Customer:

Hi Dr. Owen,

Dr. Owen :

Hi -

Dr. Owen :

do you have any other questions?

Dr. Owen :

I think you will be JUST fine - and have NOTHING to worry about

Customer:

Thank you for the reassuring answer. And this is also true if I wiped myself using toilet paper, but using a hand they might have come into contact with the blood? I know it can travel through vaginal mucous membranes.

Dr. Owen :

Yes very true

Customer:

Okay, thank you. I'm 7 months pregnant so I've been very anxious about a lot of things lately!

Dr. Owen :

Well to travel through the mucous membranes you REALLY need to have a lot of HIV present and given your situation - you do NOT

Customer:

There is no need to get tested or anything?

Dr. Owen :

so it is understandable

Dr. Owen :

I do NOT think you need another test

Dr. Owen :

Just being pregnant makes you VERY anxious

Customer:

Okay

Dr. Owen :

but honestly to make you Feel better so you can see this with your own eyes, just have your doctor do another test so you will be reassured that all is well

Dr. Owen :

I wish you well

Dr. Owen :

I wish youwel

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you

Dr. Owen :

Thank you

Customer:

Okay thanks so much. I have my next appointment Thursday and will ask

Customer:

I will

Customer:

thanks

Dr. Owen :

Dr Owen

Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate