Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

I had unprotected intercourse on the 14th day, how effective

I had unprotected intercourse on the 14th day, how effective will be the morning pill?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.

Dr. Owen :

Hello

Dr. Owen :

okay the 14th of June?

Dr. Owen :

And, when did you take the Morning after pills?

Dr. Owen :

Can you clarify your dates for me?

Customer:

no let me explain. I had intercourse on the 11th day after my period. and then I took the after pill.

Dr. Owen :

How many hours Later did you take the morning after pill?

Dr. Owen :

ALSO how often do you have a period?

Customer:

I am regular. last period May 22. every 28 days

Dr. Owen :

okay -

Dr. Owen :

So how many hours later after you had intercourse did you take the morning after pill?

Customer:

48hrs

Dr. Owen :

okay

Dr. Owen :

then the Morning after pill will protective about 90 to 95% of the time - so that means you have a less than 5 to 10% chance of pregnancy - so that is a very good set of odds.

Dr. Owen :

And, to check - do a pregnancy test about 10 and 14 later, but if you have bleeding about 2 to 8 days after you used the pill, then you are very Unlikely to be pregnant, since the bleeding signifies the pill worked.

Customer:

ok , that sounds good. even after that will I continue with the ovulating process. no I did not have any bleddinng.

Dr. Owen :

Well you should not ovulate given when you took the morning after pill since it should stop ovulation -

Dr. Owen :

So do a pregnancy test if you have not had any bleeding by about 10 days after you took the morning after pills

Dr. Owen :

and if BOTH the pregnancies tests done on the 10th and the 14th day after you had intercourse is negative, then you are not pregnant.

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Dr. Owen :

IF no more questions, please click on EXCELLENT
Thank you

Dr. Owen :

Dr Owen

Customer:

ok. is it dangerous to take another after pill?

Dr. Owen :

no it is not dangerous - but it will NOT help after 96 hours from when you had sex

Dr. Owen :

so don't bother to take another pill - it really does not help

Dr. Owen :

More than likely you will not be pregnant give when you took the morning after pill

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Customer:

ok, what about if there was sex on the 14th day/

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen :

Dr Owen

Dr. Owen :

If you had sex a second time, then take the pill within 72 hours of having had sex AGAIN afterwards

Dr. Owen :

If you REALLY want to be sure, then have a Copper T Paragard IUD inserted - this is a great IUD to prevent a pregnancy and for morning after contraception.

Customer:

excellent

Dr. Owen :

you are welcome

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr. Owen :

this would be appreciated

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen :

You should be able to see the EXCELLENT button near the smile face

Dr. Owen :

Thank you

Dr. Owen :

Dr Owen

Dr. Owen :

Hello

Dr. Owen :

Are you there?

Dr. Owen :

I see you are there

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT - this is a button near the smile face

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate