Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor
8534737

Trichomoniasis testing

I had more background info here but I was told that it was suggested I pay more money to get an answer. So I deleted my background info and am just including the botXXXXX XXXXXne question I had since I feel it's a rather simple question. 

I don't know if I have ever been tested for trichomoniasis. Is this something that would show up in normal tests or cultures or do I have to be tested for it specifically?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello,

Dr. Pfeiffer :

trichomonas isn't necessarily a common test unless the presenting complaint is vaginal discharge, itching and possibly even an odor.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so, without background info...it'd be hard to speciulate.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

now, if your doctor took a swab and spread it out on a microscope slide and then looked at it under the microscope...you were tested for trichomonas.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

areas such as the ER and even family practitioners will usually collect a swab and send it to the lab for the wet prep to be done...we, as ob/gyns just usually do them ourselves.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Dr. Pfeiffer