Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)

I am 50 and have had my period regularly for the last 3-4 years

I am 50 and have had my period regularly for the last 3-4 years (prior to that I was hit or miss each month, never knowing when my period would come). I was two weeks late for May and started on 5/31 but have not stopped and it is 6/29, tho it is getting lighter.
I also had an abnormal pap in Feb, but was told let's wait for 6 months to test again, then this came up.

I can't have the pap until I quit the period, but why am I going for so long?

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

Having a period for more than 7 days is not normal. In your case, at your age, a prolonged period is likely to be due to a hormonal abnormality. But you also need to be get an ultrasound done for the uterus and the ovaries. A thickened endometrium ( inner uterine lining) can cause a prolonged period. If your endometrium is thickened, you will need to get a endometrial biopsy to check if this is due to a hormonal issue or due to cellular changes in the endometrium.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would I be able to get the ultrasound done even if my period continues? And I forgot to say that I take thyroid meds (200 mcg) every day because I had the thyroid taken out in Aug. 07. I also contacted MRSA in March with open sores on my buttox, was not treated with the proper antibiotics until April 8th.

Could this have affected my periods? Could I be going into menopause and is there a blood test for menopause?

Yes, you will be able to get the ultrasound done even if you are on your periods.

And no, the MRSA infection or the thyroid surgery would not affect your periods.

But it is very likely that you are going into your periods. At your age, the chances of a hormonal imbalance due to premenopause is very high. You can ask your doctor to order a blood test for the hormone FSH. The level of this hormone starts to increase at around the menopause.

I hope this helps.