Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

I have an itching sensation on the labia but mostly in the

I have an itching sensation on the labia but mostly in the crease of my legs right where my underwear elastic rubs. Does not seem to be red but is irritated. I had a hysterectomy in my low 40's and have had problems with tissue paper skin enough to where I dont want to have sex anymore. Its more than just itching. At times it keeps me from sleeping. No discharge or unusual odor.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.

Dr. Owen :

Hello

Dr. Owen :

Also, do you itch between the area between the vagina and the anus?

Dr. Owen :

Also, do you use any medications, creams, pills, etc?

Dr. Owen :

Are you on any hormones?

Dr. Owen :

Thank you

Dr. Owen :

Dr Owen

Dr. Owen :

hi

Dr. Owen :

To type, type in the box and then click on Reply

Dr. Owen :

Thank yoyu

Dr. Owen :

you

Dr. Owen :

hi - are you there?

Customer:

At times, I itch just about everywhere down there, but yes, I do itch there also. I had an small amount of itching inside for years but seems to be from dryness. This is worse than from dryness it seems. No creams other than tried a hydrocortisone cream couple of times and just today used a fungal cream(Lotrimin AF) No hormones. On medications ( simvastatin 20 mg, lopressor 50 mg., fish oil, and a zyretec 10mg. daily)

Dr. Owen :

Hi I have some suggestions for you

Customer:

OK

Dr. Owen :

1. Since you had a Hysterectomy you CAN SAFELY use Estrogen alone - such as the Vagifem estrogen suppository - this will actually Decrease the risk of breast cancer (NOT increase it) - and this should help with the dryness, itching and thinning of the skin.

Dr. Owen :

2. The VAgifem is a prescription you will need from your doctor

Dr. Owen :

3. Next - Use Replens - this is a vaginal moisturizer - that is over the counter - and works wonderfully

Dr. Owen :

4 Then I would suggest that your doctor check you specifically for a yeast infection that is resistant to many over the counter products and might need a prescription such as to Fluconazole (same thing as Diflucan) or Terconazole (same thing as Terazol).

Dr. Owen :

5. Then I would strongly suggest getting a very small biopsy done by an ob/gyn in the area between the anus and vagina - because you might have something called Lichen Sclerosis

Dr. Owen :

Lichen sclerosis - needs a High potency steroid cream called Clobesterol (the Hydrocortisone is a very Low potency steroid)

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps and it should

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT if you have no more questions

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Customer:

But have no discharge for yeast infection. Is there anything over the counter that I can use along with the replens to try now as I just called my ob/gyn and she moved from this area. Hate to start a new dr. as it takes awhile to get in as a new patient. I want to get some relief now.

Dr. Owen :

yes, - a yeast infection does not always have a discharge - and many resistant yeast infections actually do not have discharges - hence why testing is important and why you might need a prescription medication for this instead -

Dr. Owen :

Well - any Doctor can prescribe what I mentions

Dr. Owen :

But, do this

Dr. Owen :

1. Pick up Replens - this is over the counter and does NOT require a prescription.

Dr. Owen :

2. If you have a Primary care provider - not necessarily an ob/gyn - get that doctor to prescribe you the Vagifem - That should help you a LOT - I find that women who have had hysterctomies benefit a Lot from this.

Dr. Owen :

Then IF you happen to have a yeast infection or Lichen sclerosis AFTER testing - then you can get the proper prescriptions then

Dr. Owen :

But the more immediate relief can be provided by the Replens and the Vagifem

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Customer:

Yes, it'll give me something to try til I can get to a OB/Gyn. Thank you.

Dr. Owen :

you are very welcome -

Dr. Owen :

I see you also used the antifungal cream just one - USE that daily for at least 7 to 10 days

Dr. Owen :

I wish you well

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you

Dr. Owen :

We appreciate the positive ratings and feedback

Dr. Owen :

Dr Owen

Customer:

Yes, I will

Dr. Owen :

you are welcome -

Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate